Super Frustrated...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking in ft. collins

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
9 lb pork sholder. GMG pellet smoker

Got up at 4:30AM to put the shoulder on the GMG. Everything went pretty well until about 11:30. Hit a stall at 155*. It has gone up a total of 3* in the past 3 hours!

I read on here to just foil and put it in the oven at 250*. I did that at 1:30.

I have guests coming for dinner at 6PM and I am looking at going to Costco or Sams to buy already smoked pulled pork.

Do I have any chance of getting this smoke done successfully?

1-800-Dominos :emoji_sunglasses:

Yes, wrapping will allow you to break through the stall. 250° is not written in stone, so hopefully you put some liquid in the foil, and you have enough time for the butt to tender up at that temp. If not go higher. If all else fails, sliced barbecued pork is pretty good and highly underrated.

You are still good. Wrap and set oven at 325. Watch temp close because will only take a little over one hour to reach 203IT at this point. Hope you have a remote temp reader. The old saying is if opening door to check meat your not cooking. Chill,once warped it cooks fast.

It is double wrapped. I put apple juice in there with it to keep it moist. The temp is 350* It is up to 163*

Thanks for your help. Hopefully this comes out!
Just dont unwrap till done or you will delay cook. Would like to see finished a hour before serving to give it time to rest.

Hi there and welcome!

I'm glad u upped the temp. Know that a pork butt/brisket/ribs don't really care what temp u cook/smoke them at so hot and fast is the way to go in my book.

Also at a cooking temp 275F any meat 8-9 pounds or higher will usually be tender in a little more than an hour a pound if u dont open the smoker at all. UNDERSTAND that a pork butt/brisket are only done when they are tender... not based on time... not based on Internal Temp (IT).
The IT that that the meat thermometer tells u will simply let u know to check for tendreness.
Check for tenderness by stabbing all over with a kabob skewer and if it goes in with no resistance then it is tender.

I only mention the 275F and a little over an hour per pound thing STRICTLY for PLANNING purposes.
Always plan so that your pork butt/brisket finish 4 hours early. Wrap in double foil tightly, then wrap in 3 bath towels tightly and set on the counter and 4-5 hours later they will be piping hot and ready to serve. This extra 4 hours is a good buffer to rest those cuts of meat OR to give u more time to finish a stubborn cook :)

I hope this info helps! :)

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky