Super Bowl Sunday Pulled Pork Fest

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pgsmoker64

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 23, 2010
Prince George, Va.
Good morning everyone!

Last Saturday I smoked a pork butt in my MES30 and came out with 5 pounds of delicious pulled pork!  In that thread I promised that today that pulled pork would be the star in several other dishes - chili, pizza, and sliders.

Well, we ate one pound through the course of the week on sammiches, with a fork, and with our fingers!!! The rest went into the freezer for today's festivities.

I got up at 0330 this morning - couldn't sleep because of the excitement - and started work on the chili.  I honestly did not think that my pulled pork could taste any better but OMG!  I've never tasted anything like it!!! Truly amazing.

Here are a few pics of the process.  I will post a plated pic later in the day.

A view of the ingredients - I'll post a complete list and recipe at the bottom of the thread.

Peppers and onions diced along with some andouille sausage and some de-glazing beer - way too early to imbibe.

Time to saute'

...and deglaze - I let the beer reduce about half - bad pic sorry

Added the pulled pork

Added San Marzano tomatoes and half a can of light red kidney beans stirred and in the process of cooking down

Now, my chili has always been very good but this may be the best ever!

PGSmoker's PP Chili

Ingredients:

2 tbs EVOO

2 tbs chili powder or more to taste

2 tbs sugar or more to taste - this helps combat some of the acidity of the tomatoes, onions, and peppers - can be omitted.

1/2 cup each yellow, red, green bell pepper diced

1/2 cup diced sweet onion

2 each picante or jalepeno peppers - one for the chili and one for garnish (seeded or not depending on how hot you like it)

1 diced andouille sausage

1 lb pulled pork

2 each 20 oz cans of San Marzano tomatoes - crushed by hand

20 oz of light red kidney beans - I use a half a 40 oz can and save the rest for red beans & rice

Heat a dutch oven with the EVOO, add the onions and peppers and sweat them down.  Add the sausage - I have used andouille and chorizo.  Render down the sausage then deglaze the pan with your favorite beer (I have experimented for years and have decided that Shiner Bock compliments my ingredients best).  Add the pulled pork, tomatoes, and kidney beans and stir.  Add chili powder and stir - give it a taste.  Add sugar if desired - be sure to taste again and adjust as necessary.

I cook it all day and serve at the end of the day - it's like chili air freshener!

Serve it up however you like - we like cheese and sour cream and I add habanero hot sauce.

More to come...the plated (or bowled) chili, pizza, and sliders.

Stay with me and enjoy.

Last edited:
PG that looks amazing!! 
drool.gif
 if u dont mind i may have to steal that from ya for my leftovers!!!! from todays cook.

PG that looks amazing!! 
drool.gif
 if u dont mind i may have to steal that from ya for my leftovers!!!! from todays cook.
J...that is why I post it.  Enjoy - it's great with cornbread, biscuits, rice, spaghetti, whatever people like to put chili on or put on chili.

Bill

DANG that looks good!!  Problem with our house is we don't stop eating the pork until it's gone!  I never have leftovers otherwise I'd love to try it!

I'm curious about the chorizo -- if it's good spicy chorizo, seems like it might overpower the pork?  Or is that why you use andouille?

DANG that looks good!!  Problem with our house is we don't stop eating the pork until it's gone!  I never have leftovers otherwise I'd love to try it!

I'm curious about the chorizo -- if it's good spicy chorizo, seems like it might overpower the pork?  Or is that why you use andouille?
I actually cooked this pork butt for Super Bowl Sunday, but knew I wouldn't have the time this weekend.

I typically use the chorizo when I make the chili with ground beef.  I was a little concerned about exactly what you said with the pork, thus the andouille.  You may also notice there is only about a half cups worth of the sausage, this will prevent that from becoming the star of the dish when my intent is for the pulled pork to shine - and it does.  Great complimentary flavors.

This is actually the first time I've made my chili with pulled pork.  Normally I make it with ground beef or ground turkey. 

Last edited:
My hubby would cringe using a Shiner in the Chili! But if I told him....I drank it...that would work...right?
Look amazing as usual! You make the best stuff!!!!Thumbs Up

That. Looks. Awesome!!! Im sure I wont have any pulled pork left over after tonight but the next time I smoke I will throw an extra one on to make this! Thanks, just drooled on the keyboard.

My hubby would cringe using a Shiner in the Chili! But if I told him....I drank it...that would work...right?
Look amazing as usual! You make the best stuff!!!!
icon14.gif
I think that would work Kat!!!!  Brad - my oldest - is a real bear snob and he doesn't like the idea either but he loves the chili.  Yeah...tell him you drank it...and thank you for the compliment!  You make me blush - you know, cause I'm shy....
BSmeter.gif

That. Looks. Awesome!!! Im sure I wont have any pulled pork left over after tonight but the next time I smoke I will throw an extra one on to make this! Thanks, just drooled on the keyboard.
Thanks SB!  Careful you don't short out that keyboard.  LOL

Okay...the guests arrived and I started on the pizzas and sliders!  Things got busy real quick and there wasn't much room so please excuse the mess.

As promised, here is the plated chili - this was a huge hit!!!!  Everyone loved it and so will you if you give it a try!

Here is the pizza...Everyone raved over this - pulled pork, bacon, granny smith apples, extra sharp cheddar, smoked gouda, and my BDSE sauce

Here is the pulled pork sliders with bread and butter pickles

Everything was great and I fixed Kat's shortbread for desert w/ cinnamon sugar!!!

Awesome!

Hope you enjoyed my Q-View!

Bill

Nice job on the Chow and thanks for posting the recipe...It makes me crazy looking at a picture of something good and get no recipe on how to make it!...
102.gif
...JJ

th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif
of the shortbread!!!!  Shamey on you!  The spread looked great!  We do need to be neighbors!
Well Kat, you know how good that stuff is...it didn't last long enough for a Q-view!  One guy was dipping it in his beer - said he could eat that stuff all day!!!!  LOL

If we were neighbors I would weigh 300 pounds...
30.gif

Looks awesome Bill!     I'm so jealous of ya'll  awesome cooking.
Thanks Wes - just stay tuned and copy recipes!  Before you know it you'll be posting your own.
The chili looks fab! Saved the recipe :)
The chili was awesome!!!!  This is the first time I have made it with pulled pork and I think it was the best I ever made IMHO - and that's sayin' something!  
yahoo.gif

Nice job on the Chow and thanks for posting the recipe...It makes me crazy looking at a picture of something good and get no recipe on how to make it!...
102.gif
...JJ
Thanks Chef - means a lot coming from you!  I'm with you on the recipe thing...I badger Kat for recipes all the time...even those of which she hasn't yet posted a q-view!!!!!

Bill,  is your chill "as is"  spicy?     It looks really good.      Thanks,
Wes, this wasn't as spicy as I usually make it but it does have a subtle back heat to it...You can crank up the spice by adding ground chipotle pepper, hanbanero dust, whatever you like!  

I have learned to dial it down where everyone can eat it and then put out several different levels of hot sauce so they can crank up the heat however they like...for some reason no one used the ghost chili sauce....
th_violent5.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky