Sunday Evening Elk Loaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinGame

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 11, 2018
Sullivan, IN
Afternoon looked to be nice, so decided to smoke an elk loaf. Dear wife was going to put it in the oven, but I volunteered to put it on the Camp Chef pellet with some pecan pellets. Nothing fancy. Ground elk with a little "meatloaf" seasoning. Stuffed it with onions, baby spinach and little cheese. We will see how it comes out.

Apologize, but I never remember pics until I am nearly done. Here it is at 140F IT having adding a light mop of sauce. Now for it to get to 165F.

Elk Meat Loaf 12.19.20.jpg

Final! Nothing fancy for sides. Was busy shooting my bow and watching football. Would rather have fresh beans, but canned was it.

Elk Meat Loaf 12.19.20A.jpg

My wife said she wanted a small portion, but managed to double up on seconds. The spinach adds a little moisture for the elk. Could have used a little more cheese, IMO.

She said I need to do another fattie soon using the elk as base. I am game!! (pardon the pun)

Question #1 ... Does anyone let their ground mixture sit overnight after adding their spices? Wondered if it would let the mixture take on a little more of the spice flavors.

Question #2 ... What is everyone's favorite adds to their fattie? So far I have only added cheese, mushrooms, and spinach.

Man I know that's gonna be tasty. BBQ glaze?

I like a little bbq sauce versus catsup. Little more spice. Not a lot, just a hint. Normally it is a sweet style sauce, but tried a Carolina style this time. I like Carolina style sauces, but will probably stick with sweet on my loaves. Just like those better.

Mmm, Elk Loaf looks delicious.

Question #1 ... Does anyone let their ground mixture sit overnight after adding their spices? Wondered if it would let the mixture take on a little more of the spice flavors.
I thought it was the law. I'm callin' the cops....:emoji_laughing:
Seriously, I always do.

I like a little bbq sauce versus catsup. Little more spice. Not a lot, just a hint. Normally it is a sweet style sauce, but tried a Carolina style this time. I like Carolina style sauces, but will probably stick with sweet on my loaves. Just like those better.
I'm bbq sauce over ketchup myself

What is your "meatloaf" seasoning?

It varies. If lazy it might be a McCormick's pouch.

But a couple years ago I found this one online and tend to stick pretty close to it although my wife is not a big paprika fan. Might add a touch of oregano.

1 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp basil
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

It varies. If lazy it might be a McCormick's pouch.

But a couple years ago I found this one online and tend to stick pretty close to it although my wife is not a big paprika fan. Might add a touch of oregano.

1 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp basil
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
Ok,....reason I asked was because if your using a commercial blend like a McCormick pouch I would do more per lb than recommended. Game meat is lean and no fat to carry the flavor so extra seasoning is a must. Even with your own seasoning....if its good when you use it with beef add a little extra when using with a lean game meat.

Ok,....reason I asked was because if your using a commercial blend like a McCormick pouch I would do more per lb than recommended. Game meat is lean and no fat to carry the flavor so extra seasoning is a must. Even with your own seasoning....if its good when you use it with beef add a little extra when using with a lean game meat.

Thanks!

Reactions: Sowsage
Looks good! Like the idea of a fatty also! I know what you mean with the veggies... hard to eat them from a can when you're used to fresh or canned from the garden.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky