Summer Sausage w/Cheese/Jalapeno/Spanish Olives/ & Pimento ( QVIEW - QVIEW - QVIEW)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Im looking to do some of those too. I want to put jalapeno & Cheese in them. Did u use a cure? Or Mrs dash Spicey only? And did u say that u used ground burger? I was thinking about a 50/50 mix too. They look great!

Im looking to do some of those too. I want to put jalapeno & Cheese in them. Did u use a cure? Or Mrs dash Spicey only? And did u say that u used ground burger? I was thinking about a 50/50 mix too. They look great!
I always use cure, this was about a 60/40mix. 40 being the pork. 60 being venison

Last edited:
Reactions: rocswx

WOW - that looks awesome.

Unrelated: Did you post your walk in project here on SMF? I'm interested in how you did it.
I made the walk in out of 4" insulated panels I got from a friend. They are fiberglass OSB plywood with 4" of styrofoam wedged in between. I added a cheap window unit, wired the fan so it runs all the time, and added a Johnson Controls thermostat to cycle the compressor off and on with in a 5 degree swing in temp. I cut the door in using a chain saw. This unit is heavy so I built it on a skid should I need to move it. I works pretty well. It is not designed to go in and out of a lot because the recovery time. But for holding a a certain temp until you are ready to deal with it it is perfect for what I do.

Okay, I just posted some sliced views at the end of the post. They taste good, could use a little more tang and perhaps a little less fat, this mix was 50/50.
For what its worth HT I have been using 14LB venison 1 1/2 - 2 LB pork mixture. To me you don't loose the venison flavor. I also use Hi Mountain mix which I also add 3oz Mrs Dash, 3oz mustard seed, one rounded Tbl spoon cayenne pepper, and for a little extra zip 1/2 oz red pepper flakes. Have made with burger also using same mixture but find burger needs to be 90-10 fat content. 

For what its worth HT I have been using 14LB venison 1 1/2 - 2 LB pork mixture. To me you don't loose the venison flavor. I also use Hi Mountain mix which I also add 3oz Mrs Dash, 3oz mustard seed, one rounded Tbl spoon cayenne pepper, and for a little extra zip 1/2 oz red pepper flakes. Have made with burger also using same mixture but find burger needs to be 90-10 fat content. 
Well then , I'll just have to try you mix. , sounds quite inviting. Thanks for the recipe. I am always looking for new ideas and methods !!! ,Someone said one time if you do the same old thing and get the same old Results, maybe you ought to change what you are doing.....makes sense to me.Merry Christmas too !! 

Congrats Dex.........
first.gif

Looks awesome!  I've wondered about adding green olives to summer sausage and now it's on the list for sure.  I use a cooler full of ice water for bathing too - works great.

Looks awesome!  I've wondered about adding green olives to summer sausage and now it's on the list for sure.  I use a cooler full of ice water for bathing too - works great.
I wasn't sure how many olives to use. I bought a gallon of them whole, sliced them by hand and added til it "looked about right". The Pimentos really give it a nice touch of color but do nothing as far a flavor goes. By the way I still have a lot of olives left over. For my 30 pound mix I used about 3 hand fulls if I remember correctly.

HoityToit

HoityToit, in my last batch of blacktail deer summer sausage I added high temp pepper jack cheese.  I went by visual "feel" as I mixed it in and it came out perfect, so I think for adding fun stuff to sausage the eyeballs do a pretty good job. 
thumb1.gif

Also, as a side note, I added bacon ends-n-pieces instead of pork butt and used a Hi-Mtn seasoning kit without any other mods.  I found the end product a tad salty for my taste and figure it had to do with the bacon fat, which is already salty from the get go.  Made a note of that in my book but nobody else was complaining.

HoityToit, in my last batch of blacktail deer summer sausage I added high temp pepper jack cheese.  I went by visual "feel" as I mixed it in and it came out perfect, so I think for adding fun stuff to sausage the eyeballs do a pretty good job. 
thumb1.gif

Also, as a side note, I added bacon ends-n-pieces instead of pork butt and used a Hi-Mtn seasoning kit without any other mods.  I found the end product a tad salty for my taste and figure it had to do with the bacon fat, which is already salty from the get go.  Made a note of that in my book but nobody else was complaining.
I like the idea of using bacon ends...all you got to do is back off on the salt otr maybe soak the bacon firstto draw out some of the salt. I use a small amout of Lard on occasion to add moistness to the mix. I getting ready to do buck stiks this afternoon, then it will be more summer sausage or pimento loaf time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky