Summer sausage time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rippper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
merto detroit, michigan
stuffed up 12 lbs. of SS Saturday, fired up the camp chef pellet smoker Sunday morning. put the sausages on at 10:00 am and now, Monday morning at 8:30 i.t. is 143. Have the ink bird hooked up. smoker temp has been running between 165-174. checked I.T. with my therma pen and confirmed the sausages are at 143. Over 20 hrs. this has happened before and the product turned out good. Thoughts? usually finish in warm water bath but the SS were too long and they wont fit in my turkey roaster.

Thats a long time to be at 143.

Why dont you take one and slice it to look.

I'm with BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker . take one out and slice it. See if your happy with it. It does not take long to pasteurize at 146°. So I wouldnt be concerned with it not getting to a higher temp.

I have been fighting this sort of thing on nearly all my smoked sausage. I gave up overnight at around 18 hours at mid 130s on mine a few times. Result was tasty but texture took a hit. chopsaw chopsaw Rich suggested I hang at room temp a few hours/overnight and it helped a LOT! Temps climbed and finished as expected, in fact much faster than I expected.

How big are the casings?? And did you take them out of the fridge and let them hang at room temperature for a few hours before you placed them in the smoker? FlatBroke really wanted to keep the record for the longest cook for his famous " Marathon Red Barn Bologna " but it look's like you have surpassed him ! The last I made was in 43 mm ring casings and it only took me 6.5 hours but I have made SS in 2.5" fibrous casings and it took 16 hours to get to 153. That was done with a PID controller and the step method. Hang chubs at room temp for 3 hours then set them in smoker at 120 with no smoke for 1 hour add wood then increase temp 10 degrees every hour till I got to 170 and leave it there till the IT gets to 153. Ice bath and hang to bloom.

Casings are 2.5...cut one open and they look pretty good, a little wrinkled. Maybe the placement of my probe is the problem?
20201207_120821.jpg
20201207_120319.jpg

Reactions: poacherjoe
Looks good from here! Just plan on it taking that long next time.Maybe the smoker temperature was lower than you think . More temperature probes to check the smokers actual temperature might be needed. It looks really good .

Strong work there buddy manning the fire for that long takes effort for sure

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky