Summer Sausage not enough smoke...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wibigfish

Original poster
Aug 27, 2020
Made a batch of Jalepeno Cheddar summer on Monday. Did everything as I usually do and which produces good results, however, this particular batch did not take the smoke well for some reason. I let sausage get almost to room temp before putting in smoker at 100 degrees. 1st hour was no smoke, then added smoke (cherry) for 5 hours while maintaing 100 degrees. I vac sealed and finished in a sous vide bath for 3 hours at 151. Texture and everything else was perfect but weak on smoke flavor. Used PS 2.5" fibrous casings. After smoking I hung in basement for 2 hours, then hung in fridge til this aft.

Is it possible put back cold smoker and add more smoke for a few hours, or am I just wasting time?

Thanks for any help.

Reactions: JLeonard
WBF, Seems like the SS wasn't dried enough to accept smoke. Vents need to be wide open and I usually go at least an hour and a half at 110*-120*. I am assuming you were using a normal fibrous casing ?

Seems like the SS wasn't dried enough to accept smoke.
This is always my first thought when this question comes up . It looked like you did all the right moves getting ready to smoke , and going into the smoker , but depending on the moisture content in the sausage it might cause it not to take smoke if the chubs are sweating .

Reactions: wibigfish
With my recipe for ss I just mold it in 1 lb. loaves. Put in plastic wrap to set overnight. Smoke to temp. 1/2 venison, 1/2 80 20 burger. Jalapeno in some too. There's not anybody that doesn't like it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky