Summer sausage doesn't seem done.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wrwoelfel

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
New London, Mn
Hey all. I've just done a batch of venison summer sausage. I smoked it at around 200 and let the internal temp get to 165. When I cut it in half to freeze it, it didn't look like it was done. This is my first time doing this. Am I just worrying to much. I've done sticks before with no problem. Just worried, I don't want anyone sick.

200° smoke temp is much too high and 165° internal temp is also too high .... it is WELL done and may be dry.

We assume you used cure in the meat -- correct?

Smoker should not go above 180°, better at 170°.

The sausage is done when it is 152° internal temp - 155° max..

yeah as Rex said.. we need to know some of your process and what ingredients you put in... Did you use any ECA or binders

Joe

No i didn't put any binders in. Yes we used cure. Its not dry by any means. I was just nervous about it not looking done. I should have ground it finer the second run when we ground the mixture together. Used the high mountain package.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky