• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Summer Sausage Casings

alamar

Smoke Blower
Joined May 4, 2008
I ham getting ready to make SS and have a question. I have purchased the 2.5"x12" mahogany fibrous casings from Butcher & Packer (local for me :emoji_grin: ). The question is, how much can I expect to stuff into each? Also if I soak too many can I let the extra just dry out and use them again? Thanks in advance.

poacherjoe

Meat Mopper
Joined Nov 7, 2019
You should get a pound in each casing and if you have leftover wet casings just let them dry out for the next run.

SWFLsmkr1

Formerly 'SFLsmkr1'
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
After you casings are dry you need to vac seal them, the water will zap out any oils from the casing.

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
After you casings are dry you need to vac seal them, the water will zap out any oils from the casing.
Rick has steered you right here , I tried to reuse a fibrous casing( not vac sealed) years ago and it blew apart from the stuffing pressure.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.