1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Summer is really starting to heat up.....pepper content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Holly2015, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

My better 1/2 spied the 1st Reaper's today. Lots of peppers starting to for with this little devil being the biggest at about 1-1/2" tall.

Looks innocent enough :)

C1.jpg

xray likes this.
  2. xray

xray Master of the Pit

What’s your plans for the peppers? I’m thinking of trying a fermented hot sauce this year.

3. Holly2015

Spicy beef jerky is #1 on the list. Then maybe some peach/reaper jelly.
    Most will get dehydrated to be able to share with others and for use throughout the year.

xray likes this.
  4. drdon

drdon Smoke Blower ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Do you put them in the smoker for a while before dehydrating? I've done it with thai peppers and it turned out pretty good. NC Reapers scare me!

5. Holly2015

I normally do not smoke peppers as it makes them one dimensional. If dehydrate just the pepper I can use them to make dishes, sides or condiments that I don't want smoke flavor. Or if I want heat and smoke I can add the smoke later.

I've never had reapers so I'll take it slow at 1st and then ramp up if needed. When I 1st got ghost peppers I was a bit apprehensive and only used 1 peppers in a 5lb batch of jerky because of reading all the reviews of how insanely hot they were. Turned out to be pretty mild jerky add follow up batches got no less than 5 to 10 and up to 19 peppers per 5lb batch.

6. drdon

drdon Smoke Blower ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Will be watching for updates. This may be on my list.....someday....after all the OTHER things in line. Just never enough time.