Suggestions, please!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
My MES 30, with a replacement control unit FAILED. This is the at least 3rd failed MES for us.

I am looking to replace as waiting until spring for bbq'd food is TOO LONG A WAIT (oops, sorry for shouting)

I've been using MES30's for about 8 years and want something I can program an leave alone.

Get a RecTeq 1250 pellet grill. I've got pork butt going on my Recteq in 9F temps and its doing just fine. Monitoring on my phone because I didn't want to brave the cold until time to wrap😁

Reactions: Brokenhandle
You could also think about getting an amber pid for your mes. When I bought my auber it was $150 I think. Will hold Temps within a couple degrees. You rewire the mes and bypass your controller completely. Also I believe auber now has a wifi unit also.

Ryan

Auber PID is the ticket. Just used my 40 this Am in -24° temps doing almonds. Set at 165° for 1.5 hrs, raised to 235° for 1.5 hrs. Took a bit to crawl up to that temp (10 mins ) but didn't miss a beat.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Just put a meatloaf in my Auber controlled 30 . Set to 200 , 2 Mesquite wood chunks in the tray over the element .
Wanted to use one of the kettles or the pellet grill . Mid 30's and raining , so I choose to flip the switch and set the temp .
My MES 30, with a replacement control unit FAILED. This is the at least 3rd failed MES for us.

I am looking to replace as waiting until spring for bbq'd food is TOO LONG A WAIT (oops, sorry for shouting)

I've been using MES30's for about 8 years and want something I can program an leave alone.
I am leaning towards pellet units as I'm not a mechanical/electrical mods type.

Need to know more about them.

I just bought a pellet grill last July . I really like it , and it makes great food . A lot of good quality pellet grills out there . I mainly use my MES for sausage , hams and bacon . If it wasn't raining I would have used a kettle or probably the pellet grill to do the meat loaf .
A bunch of threads on here about bypassing the MES wiring and adding the Auber . The strong point of an MES is the insulated box . Add the Auber plug and play controller and you're set .
This is where most of us started ,
Pellet grill wise I have the Weber SmokeFire Ex4 second gen . I bought it when they had the lower price and extra's to make up for all the trouble with the first generation .
I love it . Pitboss , Camp Chef all kinds of quality choices .

Get an auber pid controller, rewire (extremely easy), and enjoy a great smoker. I opted for the wifi model for ease of access to the settings and monitoring from my phone. Works great and I haven't looked back.

Good morning. I'm out in the Alberta foothills, and its been COLD this year. I've been using a MES 30 for years, and this winter has been no different. When the controller on my MES went south, I took tallbm tallbm advise and did the quick and easy rewire/bypass. Then I added an Auber PID and haven't looked back. tallbm has very simple and clear directions to do this and is more than willing to walk you through the job. I'm a truck driver, so all I ever use is 12 volt power--I'm completely ignorant when it comes to 110 volt stuff. tallbm tallbm pretty much baby sat me through the whole procedure, and it really was simple. If I can do it, anyone can. :emoji_confounded: :emoji_confounded:
With the PID, my MES really is set and forget now.
As far as keeping the temp up, I just swapped the heat element in my MES 30 for one made for a MES 40--cheap and easy. You can also wrap your MES up in an inexpensive welding blanket for extra insulation. You'll be smoking just fine in weather that's too cold to be out in.
Afraid I know nothing about pellet poopers.
I expect tallbm tallbm will be along pretty soon. Pay attention to him, 'cause he the man.
Gary

Last edited:

Hey there! As the others are talking about you do have the option of rewiring and using a PID controller. The rewire is as simple as cutting the ends off 4 wires and then splicing together to make two whole wires. If you can snip wire ends, remove a little wire insulation, and twist the wires together with a wire nut then that's all you need for the rewire :D

The best MES out there is one you rewire and put a PID on, it's a million times better than anything Masterbuilt makes brand new. If you get interested be sure to let us know.
I can't speak much to pellet poopers from personal experience but have read a ton about them.

The main thing is, you do what will make you happy :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky