Suggestions for a Rotisserie bird

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FoxmanNC

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
So, I have watched a couple of video's but nobody seems to use baking powder for crispy chicken. It seems the guys say between 350-450, but that is a large variation. What has worked for you with your rotisserie chicken?

I would say it depends on the size of your bird. If the bird I smaller I would go with the higher temp. Bigger lower temp, this will allow the bigger bird to come up to temp more evenly. No baking powder needed at those temps.Anything above 300° on a rotisserie is going to make crispy skin. As it turns the juices will baste the bird producing a crispy skin. Thats the beauty of a rotisserie. Thats about the only way I do whole birds anymore.

I did one on my kettle while back, temp was around 325. Just sprayed with olive oil and a rub. turned out really good.
(sorry not meant to hijack)
IMG_2392.JPG

I am not a fan of smoked chicken. Wood fired grill oh heck yes, so to me the higher the temps the better. This will crisp up skin just fine with no hacks. Also making sure the skin is dry (search pellicle) kicks it up a few notches.

Reactions: FoxmanNC
I have to agree, if your cooking over a wood or charcoal fire with a rotisserie setup, it really doesn’t matter how you prepare the chicken. The skin will get crispy. I usually baste mine with the left over injection marinade.

Al

Last edited:
I would say it depends on the size of your bird. If the bird I smaller I would go with the higher temp. Bigger lower temp, this will allow the bigger bird to come up to temp more evenly. No baking powder needed at those temps.Anything above 300° on a rotisserie is going to make crispy skin. As it turns the juices will baste the bird producing a crispy skin. Thats the beauty of a rotisserie. Thats about the only way I do whole birds anymore.
This is a 6lb chicken, so I am guessing somewhere in the 350 range should produce a pretty even cook.

Yep i think that will do just fine! Share some pics when you get it done!
After letting the bird sit for 4 hours with some kosher salt in the cavity, I put a half of stick of butter in the cavity with fresh rosemary and time. Coated the bird with a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper and some garlic and herb seasoning. Then after an hour spritzed it with some apple juice. I used apple wood in the smoker. It looks and smells fantastic.

Attachments

• C0250A1B-2A97-4F35-858D-261388C54691.jpeg
    C0250A1B-2A97-4F35-858D-261388C54691.jpeg
    209.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 3385D667-3A38-40AF-8D13-0237D6FFD616.jpeg
    3385D667-3A38-40AF-8D13-0237D6FFD616.jpeg
    262.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 7FC0C6A0-331F-40F1-A750-9C7DFE9B1E23.jpeg
    7FC0C6A0-331F-40F1-A750-9C7DFE9B1E23.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: 912smoker
After letting the bird sit for 4 hours with some kosher salt in the cavity, I put a half of stick of butter in the cavity with fresh rosemary and time. Coated the bird with a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper and some garlic and herb seasoning. Then after an hour spritzed it with some apple juice. I used apple wood in the smoker. It looks and smells fantastic.
OH YEAH! THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC! nice job! Love the fresh herbs too! How did it taste???

Reactions: FoxmanNC
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky