Suggestions for a new digital scale

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luvcatchingbass

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 31, 2017
SE North Dakota
I am starting to venture into more versions of processing meat, specifically my wild game, and want to start experimenting with curing and salumi. I realize I need to up my game and equipment and the one thing I really feel that I need is a good affordable digital scale to go from ingredients to muscle and sausage weights. What say all you masters of precision measurement for recommendations or advice for what to look for?
Thank you in advance and hopefully I will have some pictures coming of a venison roast that I have curing for pastrami since Saturday Feb 6th.

I use this one for baking and pretty much anything. seems solids and accurate. not sur if it big enough for what you need.

I have two scales, one used for weighing meats with a higher weight limit and a small scale that can measure in hundredths of a gram for weighing out cure... especially when making small batches. Neither were very expensive but my small scale I believe was about $ 15 . It's the one that daveomak daveomak has recommended a few times.

Ryan

I have two scales, one used for weighing meats with a higher weight limit and a small scale that can measure in hundredths of a gram for weighing out cure... especially when making small batches. Neither were very expensive but my small scale I believe was about $ 15 . It's the one that daveomak daveomak has recommended a few times.

Ryan

I use three scales. One precision scale for chemicals, starter cultures, etc. One kitchen scale for weighing up to 4 lbs. One hanging weight scale for weighing bags of meat.

JC

Guess I forgot to mention I got my main scale that does all my bulk meat, 40# I think and a hanging scale for up to 550# (got it at a Whitetail Unlimited Banquet for a chance at a $1,000 bow, it is now a very expensive $50 scale).
I'm guessing all I would need is one that can weight up into the 4-5# range for cased and the smaller whole muscle projects.

I have the Cabelas scale and I like it. Only reason I bought it was I had Cabelas points so it was free. I use an Ohaus triple beam scale for all the seasonings.

Guess I forgot to mention I got my main scale that does all my bulk meat, 40# I think and a hanging scale for up to 550# (got it at a Whitetail Unlimited Banquet for a chance at a $1,000 bow, it is now a very expensive $50 scale).
I'm guessing all I would need is one that can weight up into the 4-5# range for cased and the smaller whole muscle projects.
I have a KD-7000 for around $30 and it does the bulk of my weighing needs. Scales from 0.1# to 15#
Still not enough tools!
I got a TL-series up to 50 gram scale for around $15. This is what you need to scale out cure (pink salt).

Reactions: luvcatchingbass
Thanks for all the advise and suggestions from everyone. I decided that it will be best to get 2 for their specialized features and uses. Guess it really isn't any different than something like say my ice fishing rod selections, yeah I can have 1 or 2 utility rods but when a fine tuned presentation is needed to possibly turn a really tough day into a decent or very good day that is when it shows up, that's how I justify my custom and higher end rods anyway but I have proved it side by side as well.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
You don't use an ice fishing rod to go fishing in the summer.
Haha this is normally true but I actually have a 36" and 40" that I have used for jigging over the side of the boat. My job makes it difficult to get out in the summer anymore with so many other things going on, I think the only time I moved my poles was from one house to the other.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky