Suger maple and silver maple what one is better

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

veener88

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
Northern IL
Going around my house today I did some checking of what trees I have that I can use for smoking. I have a few oaks and nees some trimming and I did did one today. In my search I found out I have at least 100 birch, but I also have a few maples. I have 1 suger maple to the front of the house and 3 huge silver maples to the back. I am just wondering is one better then the other. So over all it looks like I should have a good wood supply.

I am going to cut down a birch I hope before winter since I see it take about a 9 month to a year to dry.

There aren't many maples in my area but I've used Silver Maple (imported from Missouri) with good results. I've heard many say that Sugar Maple is a slower growing tree which produces a harder wood that is better for smoking with. But I don't think there is much difference in the actual flavor.

Our preference would be the Hard ( sugar ) maple. Silver maple is a soft maple and would not lend itself to our style of smoking. We almost always prefer the harder, denser woods, ie hickory, post oak, mesquite, persimmon, etc. Bear in mind that we burn straight log fires (no ccoal&chunks or chips

We did, however use some red maple earlier this year (from some tree prunings) and it was ok, just not much heat for the amount of wood, and quick burning. Red maple would be about halfway between sugar and silver maple.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky