Sugar Maple or ...? For Ribs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nickbailey

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
I have a small Rib-off between friends coming up. I usually use sugar maple that I have for smoking them, although i'm wondering if thats too mild to show off the awesome power that is smoked ribs? Any other suggests. I use a spicy rub with a fairly sweet mop, if that helps any.

Depends on what you like , I like apple the best for ribs and I use a sweet sause, but hickory it real good also, just be careful it can be a little strong so use less

i agree, especially if you are having a riboff between friends... you could always just throw a couple of chunks of a different wood along with the maple...

right now i am smoking a meatloaf with a combo of cherry and hickory

Very curious what kind of flavor sugar maple would give, maybe a chunk of cherry would spruce it up, been using that alot with my ribs
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

P.S. good luck on the rib-off!

Hmmmm ok thanks, i'll probably not mess with it then. It's a shame though, because really the only woods I can get up here is Hickory and Mesquite, the only reason I have sugar maple is because our tree was cut down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky