Sugar Maple or ...? For Ribs...

Discussion in 'Woods for Smoking' started by nickbailey, Jun 6, 2007.

1. I have a small Rib-off between friends coming up. I usually use sugar maple that I have for smoking them, although i'm wondering if thats too mild to show off the awesome power that is smoked ribs? Any other suggests. I use a spicy rub with a fairly sweet mop, if that helps any.

2. ghost308

ghost308 Fire Starter

Depends on what you like , I like apple the best for ribs and I use a sweet sause, but hickory it real good also, just be careful it can be a little strong so use less

3. msmith

msmith Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Try you some pecan wood that will bring those ribs to life.

4. I'd say stick with what you like best.

5. teacup13

teacup13 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i agree, especially if you are having a riboff between friends... you could always just throw a couple of chunks of a different wood along with the maple...

right now i am smoking a meatloaf with a combo of cherry and hickory

6. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Not good to change just before a rib off. Do it like you do it best and don't chnage anything!

7. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very curious what kind of flavor sugar maple would give, maybe a chunk of cherry would spruce it up, been using that alot with my ribs [​IMG]
    P.S. good luck on the rib-off!

8. Hmmmm ok thanks, i'll probably not mess with it then. It's a shame though, because really the only woods I can get up here is Hickory and Mesquite, the only reason I have sugar maple is because our tree was cut down.

9. chris_harper

chris_harper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

did someone say mesquite? that is our favorite here where i live.