Sugar Maple or ...? For Ribs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nickbailey

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
I have a small Rib-off between friends coming up. I usually use sugar maple that I have for smoking them, although i'm wondering if thats too mild to show off the awesome power that is smoked ribs? Any other suggests. I use a spicy rub with a fairly sweet mop, if that helps any.

Depends on what you like , I like apple the best for ribs and I use a sweet sause, but hickory it real good also, just be careful it can be a little strong so use less

i agree, especially if you are having a riboff between friends... you could always just throw a couple of chunks of a different wood along with the maple...

right now i am smoking a meatloaf with a combo of cherry and hickory

Very curious what kind of flavor sugar maple would give, maybe a chunk of cherry would spruce it up, been using that alot with my ribs
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

P.S. good luck on the rib-off!

Hmmmm ok thanks, i'll probably not mess with it then. It's a shame though, because really the only woods I can get up here is Hickory and Mesquite, the only reason I have sugar maple is because our tree was cut down.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky