Sugar Free Thai Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
A while back someone asked if my Thai Jerky recipe could be made without the sugar. Since there’s only 2 teaspoons of sugar in the recipe I figured it would be no problem.

I finally got around to testing it out. I made two batches one with sugar one without. I didn’t change anything else in the recipe and I did not season the jerky with anything else like I would normally do after the cure and before the smoke.

The answer is yes the sugar can be omitted. Side by side blind taste testing confirmed by me and several friends determined that we couldn’t tell which one had sugar and which one didn’t have sugar.

Note: make sure that the soy sauce you are using doesn’t contain sugar. Some brands do. I use Kikkoman and it does not.
Fish sauce should not either but check the label. I know Red Boat does not.

Original recipe can be found here:

923030C4-763E-42A3-B56D-8FBAEE65B92C.jpeg

Last edited:
I do the regular one and like it. Thanks for sharing that recipe Case
Richie

Definitely going to need to try this out. I know you said that in a blind test it wasn't noticeable, but did you consider using a sugar substitute like swerve/Splenda? Also, if you're after a low carb alternative there is a soy sauce substitute that is lower in carbs, Coconut Aminos.

Definitely going to need to try this out. I know you said that in a blind test it wasn't noticeable, but did you consider using a sugar substitute like swerve/Splenda? Also, if you're after a low carb alternative there is a soy sauce substitute that is lower in carbs, Coconut Aminos.

I did consider a sugar substitute, but i wanted to see if it was necessary. With the test I really don.t see a reason to use a substitute.

Wasn’t concerned with carb counts. You could probably even remove the soy if you wanted to. I’ve thought of that several times.

Lot of compliments on the original, I will stick with that. Thanks for sharing !

I’m on the fence on wether or not I’ll continue to add sugar. Honestly I feel less is more. I know that the fish sauce is the main ingredient. With that said many Asian dishes use sugar to balance out flavors.

This will give an option though for those who want to reduce sugar intake.
I have substituted low sodium soy and have not been able to notice a difference. So that’s an option for less sodium.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky