Successful Inaugural Run of the Carson Rodizio Grill - Spießbraten (German Spit Roast)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wurstmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Took out a frozen Spießbraten, stuffed pork loin, I made last month and decided to try my new Carson Rodizio rotisserie before the Mrs. and I go primetime on a Memorial Day meal. It was a lot of fun in the sun (95F on the porch, 98+F in the sun!). Brought back a lot good memories open cooking over coals.

Weight of the loin was approx. 2 lbs., a full handful. Mrs. Wurtz made the sides: seasoned peas and carrots in chicken stock, mashed potatoes (with cream/butter) and a grilled onion. I didn't use the pork butt or bacon, onions were saute' not raw that as called for, I cooked the pork loin to an IT of 145F, which actually reached 158F range after 2 hours on the spit.

My coals were wood charcoal pieces not briquettes that I placed level across the opening below the spit and a slightly offset mound on the left that lasted about 2 hours. The loin was mounted on the 3-prong skewer inserted in the Carson Rodizio bottom middle rotator, about 1.5'/2' above the coals. And yes, the grill in the picture is a Meco Aussie travel grill that I bought about 4 years ago from Lowes for $45. It does the job - holds fire and grill without falling over. LOL!!

Outcome: See final picture. The meat was moist with leftovers. Only lost a tablespoon or so of onions out the ends. Need to work on my tying skills. I would score the fat that was on top so it could crisp a little. Next time I'll set the rotisserie on the grill edges and not use the grill grate, first time stability jitters. Raise the coals closer to the bottom of the rotisserie, using a steam pan insert. That way I can keep fresh coals for a longer fire, better temperature control of the spit, and crisp the fat layer. I forgot how fast open fire burns,

Thanks for listening to the dissertation. 🍻
John

IMG_0475.jpg
Size of loin prior to the deep freeze
IMG_0510.jpg
About 1 1/2hrs into the grill

IMG_0512.jpg
After IT was reached, placed to keep warm.
IMG_0522.jpg 🤦‍♂️
Finally, we can eat Spießbraten, peas and carrots in chicken stock,
mashed potatoes (with cream/butter), and grilled onion. 🍻

Thanks for the positive feedback thirdeye. The swords are great. I received a mix of small, medium and large with my order, along with heat deflectors and a bottle opener. Later this week I'm going to do my Oktoberfest/Munich style chicken on the CR and try out some of my ideas. 🍻
John

Great looking stuffed loin, and like your rotisserie, nice meal . Looks like you tied it up ok.
And I bet finished off the plate no problem

David
Thanks for the like and positive comment. I did finish off the plate, plus a "tad" more. But, still have a slice left for tomorrow's breakfast, if I can beat Mrs. Wurtz to the kitchen. LOL!!🍻
John

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks folks for the likes and comments. They're really appreciated. The CR is a really neat and simple piece of equipment. Runs on 12v/5v or 120v adapter. The constructions is very well done with the little things that count. This week we're going for Oktoberfest style chicken and wurst. Plan on loading most of the posts and see how she does. 🍻
John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky