Successful hunt, now suggestions please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I assume you have already processed it into individual cuts before freezing?

And do you have a grinder & stuffer?

Yes all processed, whole loins, ribs, bacon, and shoulders off the sow, the rest in roasts and steaks with alot of trim meat. Elk done in lots of steaks, roasts, chops, and the heart, the rest ground, probably 80lb of that alone.

Yes I have a grinder and tube, was planning on mixing sow and elk 50/50 to start with and play from there. Elk steaks are for dinner tonight!

Nice! I still have a few elk steaks left in the freezer from last year. I need to pull those out. Great stuff!

One thing I like to make is fajitas...mostly in the skillet though.

I have never done it with elk but it works very well with venison steaks and tenderloins and pheasant breast-meat. Thin slice it, season it, and plop it in the skillet. I have also used some store-bought fajita seasoning packets that are made to dump in the skillet with the meat and like a cup of water...simmer until done.

I have done a few sausages with elk last season, we did a 60 elk/40 pork trim. they turned out great. We also had a very succesful hunt this year. I got a bull and the wife got her cow this year. There will be lots of sausage this year. As well as vultures..... ( lol That would be our kids)

How did I originally miss this thread!?!?!

Congrats on the haul everyone.

For the Elk you can try some ground venison pastrami, but you will need beef fat to add to it. Mine comes out tasting great but I am going to try and add some soy isolate protein as a binder next time. Once frozen and thawed it likes to break when pulling out of the vac bags. Good thing is that it breaks in big sandwich sized chunks so no biggy but I would love to be able to grab one slice at a time without it breaking.

I'm also a +1 on venison fajitas from the elk.

As for the sow, treat like a normal pig but with less fat. I love to take a pork roast from the hind leg, cut up and make Green Chile Pork Posole out of it and OMG so good. Backstrap for grilled pork chops, mmm....

Best of luck with it all

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky