Sub Sandwiches???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Up my way all we have is a Subway and I don't really care for their torpedoes. We do have a Jersey Mike's that opened up about a year ago, but it's a good 40 min drive for me(one way). Luckily there is a mom-n-pop shop down the road called the Damn Store. They make a really good torpedo. My favorite is the Italian with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, banana and jalapeno peppers, mayo on both sides, and cheddar, on wheat.

One time a couple of years ago. My wife and I were visiting my cousins in LI, and stopped at a nearby subway when we arrived at our hotel. I ordered a grinder with the works and the counter person looked at me like I was crazy. She had no idea what the works meant.

Chris

Up my way all we have is a Subway and I don't really care for their torpedoes. We do have a Jersey Mike's that opened up about a year ago, but it's a good 40 min drive for me(one way). Luckily there is a mom-n-pop shop down the road called the Damn Store. They make a really good torpedo. My favorite is the Italian with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, banana and jalapeno peppers, mayo on both sides, and cheddar, on wheat.

One time a couple of years ago. My wife and I were visiting my cousins in LI, and stopped at a nearby subway when we arrived at our hotel. I ordered a grinder with the works and the counter person looked at me like I was crazy. She had no idea what the works meant.

Chris
yeah Chris called heroes down here

Agree, and like the sound of that cookie for sure.

The bread I like is French style light crust on the outside, just enough to hold the thing together. The thickness of the bread should be thin, and the inside soft but not to dense. The star of the sandwich show is whats inside. I’m there to eat the meat and toppings, the bread only needs to hold it all together, that’s it.
The bread you describe is a Vietnamese baguette.
I haven't had a real bahn mi since leaving Seattle. I make them every now and then but have to settle for bolillo rolls.
Amoroso roll is a must for a hoagie.

Cheeseburger, cheesesteak, chopped cheese, Italian, you name it. Love them all.

A sandwich shop just a mile up the road advertises Amoroso's bread.

I'm perfectly happy with Subway and they definitely still win on value. Wife doesn't like the ambiance but sheez, it's a sandwich shop.
They've always had great pastrami but it's getting hard to find.

Jimmy John's is ok BUT I won't eat their mayo. They use Helmans and I can't do Helmans. We used to get them catered in at work occasionally when I worked for the big corp and I was always scrounging for mayo packets.

Firehouse. Toasted bread and cold meat. Heavy mayo. I like the one that has both corned beef and pastrami on it. F that steaming crap. Makes them soggy.

Only half ass edible thing from Subway used to be the meatball and have them add pepperoni, if I wanted a cold and less messy from them it was always tuna with lettuce and pickles with mayo, salt and pepper. I can't remember the last time I ate a Subway sandwich. I think it was when they were running a pastrami sandwich. I remember being pissed off bad because the pastrami tasted like hot dog. Almost positive that was the last straw with them.

I'm not afraid to tell any sandwich shop to scoop out some of the bread..... Firehouse nails it to a T when I ask them to do it.

For me - if I'm doing one at the house - it's the loaf Walmart bakes in store that only cost a buck back before the acoughalypse. I think they are a buck and a half now.

When I used to make bread I could turn out an OK roll. Secret for me was to overwork the dough then underproof it a little. Gave it a really nice chew and worked great for cheesesteaks and meatball subs - you need a good tough dense bread to stand up to meatballs and cheesesteaks.

So how many of you make your own deli meats? And do you prefer those over the Boars Head type meats? I make some sandwich meats and love them but some are a challenge like Italian roast beef.

When I was eating bread I would make sandwich style meat but not a constant thing.

I would make my venison pastrami sandwich meat, cured turkey breast, bologna, and stuff like that. Nothing too crazy.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Had my first Jersey Mike's sub today.

Excellent sub.

There is a chain I prefer though - DiBella's

Truly a great sub. Worth every penny.

Unless I feel like a 200 mile round trip (which ain't happening for a sandwich) my only choice is Subway.
I usually have the club sammie on toasted Italian bread. Add some tomato, onion, black olives, pickles, yellow peppers, and a little bit of lettuce (it's a sammie, not a salad). Double the salt and pepper they usually offer, and top it off with sweet onion sauce.
Generally eaten on site.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky