Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joe black

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 25, 2015
Greenville, SC
I had 3 nice racks of baby backs and 10# of CSR's for today. Cindy, her mom, aunt and my sister were looking for a good meal. I had a good fire going and everything was rubbed and ready. The sauce was made and the braise for the CSR's. Good bed of coals and good heat retention, everything ready.

The only problem that I had was losing an hour in my head. My 3 hour cook went 4 hours. For some reason the baby backs were overdone and the bottom was charred. The CSR's were overdone and dry. Everyone was satisfied with their dinner except me. I really felt stupid and was mad as hell at myself.

I hope I learned my lesson. It really makes me mad when I turn out meat like that. I guess everyone has a fooplah now and then, but it sure makes me feel like an idiot.

Take it easy it happens,you still ate all is good! But I feel your pain I posted a well done tri tip awhile back very depressing.:biggrin:

Everyone has a bad day now and then. Totally understand how stupid you feel, but nobody went hungry and they probably thought it was good, though not to your normal standards at least to you.
Put it behind you, Joe, and carry on...
Dan

We are our own worst critics, most likely everyone else

thought it was fine.

Heck if it always came out perfect, it would be boring.

Look at it this way, if everything was as bad as you say

you ain't goin' nowhere but up.

Ed

Shake it off Joe!  It's just a one time thing and you know what went wrong.  I'll take a plate of both, I'll bet they are tasty!

Mike

We've all been there man in one way or another, so we all understand how ya feel ! Dust yourself off & get back in the saddle, your next smoke will be great ! Thumbs Up

Joe that is a shame,but like it was said,you were the only one who wasn't happy.

Richie 

Sorry Joe!

When that happens to me, there's usually alcohol involved. 
30.gif

Al

Hey it happened to me yesterday.  Kept looking for the pull back off the bones on the baby backs and finally after distraction pulled them close to 6 hrs.  Everybody loved them but me.  IMO they were a bit dry.  Still, I'm sitting here wondering why the pull back didn't even get to a good 1/4". Oh well....

Don't be too hard on yourself, Joe...it happens to all of us now and then.  And like the other guys said, we are always our own worst critics!  If that's the worst meal you serve this year, and if everyone but you loved it, you're still doing better than many!  
icon14.gif

Red

Last edited:
Yeah, what they all said. Been there done that and spent the whole meal apologizing. I actually threw out a whole shoulder one time in frustration. Still feel a little guilty for the waste but at the time..........

I'll bet there's not one of us that hasn't cooked something we are not proud of.
Even the best of the best screw up now and then.
Have you ever watched a behind the scene barbque contest on TV? There is a reason that most contestants don't even place. And if you have ever been to one of those contests where you can get samples from all the contestants and vote for the one you like best you might think your less than perfect cooks are better than many of those you tasted.
I personally wish I had a dollar for every piece of meat I screwed up, I would buy one of those big rig stick burners.

Thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate all of the encouragement. I will probably live to smoke another day. LOL. It just goes to show what a great bunch of folks we have on this great site.

Thanks again, Joe.

Don't be too hard on yourself, Joe...it happens to all of us now and then.  And like the other guys said, we are always our own worst critics!  If that's the worst meal you serve this year, and if everyone but you loved it, you're still doing better than many!  
icon14.gif

Red
Agree.     I bet it was still great. 

I will cook and say its OK but everyone loves it.     Being a cook, we are hard on ourselves , but we try our best to make everything perfect.   

Trust me Joe, I have a lot of just OK cooks.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm so late---Just found this one:

Stuff Happens Joe!!

Sounds like your guests liked it.

You can usually do something to be able to eat minor mistakes.

I once cured & smoked a Turkey Breast, and all the Thinner parts were dry, but the thicker parts were Great.

We just ate the thicker parts.

Then I sliced the dryer parts real thin, like potato chips, and ate them as snacks during a Football game.

Lesson learned,

Bear

Last edited:

Sorry I'm so late---Just found this one:

Stuff Happens Joe!!

Sounds like your guests liked it.

You can usually do something to be able to eat minor mistakes.

I once cured & smoked a Turkey Breast, and all the Thinner parts were dry, but the thicker parts were Great.

We just ate the thicker parts.

Then I sliced the dryer parts real thin, like potato chips, and ate them as snacks during a Football game.

Lesson learned,

Bear
Turkey jerky anyone? 
biggrin.gif

reminds me of a hilarious story. One thanksgiving, my aunt made a beautiful 25lb turkey in her oven and it was great looking and I remember sneaking parts of the crispy skin. Anyway, she puts it on the stove and lets it rest for awhile as she went about making the rest of the meal. Low and behold the oven vents are at the back of the stove (if you have one of them that is together) so about 45 min into this and they carve the bird.. Grab a big ole piece of the dark and white and take a bite and it is sawdust I mean dried beyond any hope... Not even a ton of gravy made it eatable... So yes, learn from it and let it go...

P.S. the rest of the meal was great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky