Stupid online recipes...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dillpunk

Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
I followed the following recipe to cure a pork belly from Costco:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/homemade-bacon-3362606

The belly was about 11 lbs so I doubled the recipe. After reading here (should have done first), I ended up using 4 tsp prague powder #1 for the 11lbs of meat. Now I am reading I am way over what I should have used (irregardless of the recipe) and I should have used a scale (which I totally have). I ate a few pieces over the past few days and I'm still alive. Should I chuck the ~9lbs of finished product I ended up with? Help?

I followed the following recipe to cure a pork belly from Costco:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/homemade-bacon-3362606

The belly was about 11 lbs so I doubled the recipe. After reading here (should have done first), I ended up using 4 tsp prague powder #1 for the 11lbs of meat. Now I am reading I am way over what I should have used (irregardless of the recipe) and I should have used a scale (which I totally have). I ate a few pieces over the past few days and I'm still alive. Should I chuck the ~9lbs of finished product I ended up with? Help?
Well if your still alive then why chuck the rest? Yes it is not as healthy (mostly on the heart) adding that much, but eaten in moderation, and the fact your still alive to me means I would not throw it out. But that is me and well just my thoughts.
Lesson learned always measure. Good tool for that ratio you might seek is http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html Though it is set up primarily for metric measurements it is a really good tool for a lot of things like this.Martin on smoking is to thank for it.
Oh and you can change ratios on all but the cure percent.
If a wet brine remember to add liquid weight to meat for proper amounts. Dry brine(rub) is meat only.
Kit

I’m honestly probably going to toss it. I’d rather be safe than feed it to my wife and 3 year old daughter. Lesson learned... at least pork belly is pretty cheap!

Thanks for the calculator link. I’ll use that on my next attempt for sure.

Cooking degrades the nitrite to approx. 10-20% of the initial amount... It's fine...

Interesting. Would this degradation be compounded by the process of smoking to 150 and then pan frying the smoked product? I definitely don’t want to put anyone at risk but it is a bummer to ditch all this delicious bacon.

If Dave says your good your good. Trust us Dave doesn’t fool around when it comes to safety if you did toss it please give us your address one us will dumpster diving.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky