Stupid bacon question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jojo22

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Canton Ohio
BUT I have read most of these posts and did a search with only one wiki found and it didn't give me an answer.

I am going to the store tomorrow and I would like to know what cut of meat is used for buckboard bacon, I found that the CB is made of loin, and plan to pick some up, but while I was at it I figured we'd give the buckboard a go.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, also any tips or recipe ideas anyone wants to throw out there would be awesome!

Buckboard Bacon or BBB has it's also known here is made from the Pork Butt. Most butts are sold "bone-in" but you can find them "boneless" if you look. If you're confident of you knife skills, go for bone in and bone it out youself and save you some money.

sometimes it is also sold under the name of pork shoulder roast or boston butt.....and like dutch said don't fret the bone, it is easy to remove. i just did a thread on bucky and i show how to remove the bone.

icon_cool.gif

I'm with both of theses guys and say that pork butt/ shoulder is the BBB. and it is a very nice tasty bacon too.

I can't add much to the replies you already got, other than this:

I had never deboned a Butt before I made my first BBB, so I looked on YouTube, and found a video showing how to do it.

I followed the instructions, and I thought I did a pretty good job. It was easy with my favorite fillet knife.

The next time, I had some Belly ready to put in cure, and I realized I had room for a Butt for BBB in my smoker.

I didn't have time to go to Sams, so I called my butcher, and asked him to debone a Butt for me, and Mrs Bear will pick it up.

He did that, it cost me a lot more, and he proved why they call him a butcher, because the whole butt was all chopped up, like he was looking for buried treasure inside it. 

I will always de-bone my own, after that episode!

Bear

Guess it's off to youtube!! Thanks for all the great replies, I just hope the wife doesn't turn off the internet so I can't get more ideas!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky