Stuffed Bell Peppers 2.0

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
A few months ago I posted a cook with stuffed bell peppers and I've been wanting to do it again, only a little different. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-stuffed-peppers.307649/

So I rounded up the necessary ingredients and here I go...

Some of the gang...
- 2 lbs. of 80/20 burger
- Hot Italian sausage
- Some Jalapeno peppers
- Medium onion
- Block of double smoked cheddar cheese
- 2 cans of Delmonte diced tomatoes with hatch chilies
- Panko bread crumbs
thumbnail.jpg

Sausage and burger were browned and the grease drained. Then the peppers and onions were sauted in EVOO until just starting to get tender...
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg

The meat is then mixed back in along with the 2 cans of tomatoes. All was brought to a slight simmer...
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg

A heaping cup of the bread crumbs along with some parmesan and asiago cheese was mixed in. It was probably 8-10 ounces of cheese, but I didn't measure, just added until it looked like enough then I added a little bit more. This mixture was stuffed into the peppers and they are ready to be smoked. Onto the grill on indirect heat from some lump and a split of white oak...
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg

After about an hour or so at 275℉-300℉, they are getting close. Topped with the grated smoked cheddar and let them go until the cheese was melted and starting to brown...
thumbnail (7).jpg
thumbnail (8).jpg

Served with one of those fresh, pre-made Asian salads in a bag that my wife loves and some green beans and potatoes. Time to eat...
thumbnail (10).jpg

Couple of notes, I didn't add any seasoning at all, it didn't really need any, but my wife said it could've used a little more salt and pepper. I didn't use any canned tomatoes last time, but the Delmonte Diced Tomatoes with Hatch Chilies really added to the flavor and changed it in a great way. This was enough stuffing to do at least 10 peppers, maybe 12...

About the green beans and potatoes, they are out of a can. I keep these at the house all the time and everyone really likes them, especially the grands. If you've never had them and want a good, easy to fix can of green beans and potatoes, try these. The ham flavoring really makes it. To stretch it or feed a larger crowd, sometimes I'll add another can of just green beans, same brand and same size can, just without the ham flavoring...
thumbnail (11).jpg

Looks great, I will be making for my wife, we have found we like any colored pepper better than green, a lot of times the bitter flavor of the green is too much imo.

Nice looking meal . I like the cook on the kettle too . First glance at the plated pic , I thought it was a slice of pizza .

About the green beans and potatoes, they are out of a can.
I bet those are good . Never had those mixed , but I like the canned potatoes .
Whole or sliced . I do them in the crock pot with green beans and smoked sausage .
Nice work .

A few months ago I posted a cook with stuffed bell peppers and I've been wanting to do it again, only a little different. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/smoked-stuffed-peppers.307649/

So I rounded up the necessary ingredients and here I go...

Some of the gang...
- 2 lbs. of 80/20 burger
- Hot Italian sausage
- Some Jalapeno peppers
- Medium onion
- Block of double smoked cheddar cheese
- 2 cans of Delmonte diced tomatoes with hatch chilies
- Panko bread crumbs
View attachment 510707

Sausage and burger were browned and the grease drained. Then the peppers and onions were sauted in EVOO until just starting to get tender...
View attachment 510708 View attachment 510709

The meat is then mixed back in along with the 2 cans of tomatoes. All was brought to a slight simmer...
View attachment 510711 View attachment 510712

A heaping cup of the bread crumbs along with some parmesan and asiago cheese was mixed in. It was probably 8-10 ounces of cheese, but I didn't measure, just added until it looked like enough then I added a little bit more. This mixture was stuffed into the peppers and they are ready to be smoked. Onto the grill on indirect heat from some lump and a split of white oak...
View attachment 510713 View attachment 510714

After about an hour or so at 275℉-300℉, they are getting close. Topped with the grated smoked cheddar and let them go until the cheese was melted and starting to brown...
View attachment 510715 View attachment 510716

Served with one of those fresh, pre-made Asian salads in a bag that my wife loves and some green beans and potatoes. Time to eat...
View attachment 510717

Couple of notes, I didn't add any seasoning at all, it didn't really need any, but my wife said it could've used a little more salt and pepper. I didn't use any canned tomatoes last time, but the Delmonte Diced Tomatoes with Hatch Chilies really added to the flavor and changed it in a great way. This was enough stuffing to do at least 10 peppers, maybe 12...

About the green beans and potatoes, they are out of a can. I keep these at the house all the time and everyone really likes them, especially the grands. If you've never had them and want a good, easy to fix can of green beans and potatoes, try these. The ham flavoring really makes it. To stretch it or feed a larger crowd, sometimes I'll add another can of just green beans, same brand and same size can, just without the ham flavoring...
View attachment 510718
Looks great. Have to remember this.

Pretty spiffy plate there pal. Looks delicious. About the only thing bell peppers are good for is stuff’n. Nice job all around.

That all looks good. Dad was not a fan of Stuffed Peppers, so not something I grew up having. My Wife's Mom made them but Bev only eats the filling. Your combo of ingredients sounds a lot better than the typical Meat and Rice...JJ

Wow...those peppers look outstanding and the flavor combination sounds really good. I've loved stuffed peppers since the first time my mother served them to me when I was a kid. Might be about time to resurrect that love affair :emoji_wink: Very nice job.

Robert

Looks great! I am so doing this, don't know why I never thought of doing this in the smoker. To make it more carb friendly I will sub in black soybeans and riced cauliflower but otherwise will use your recipe. I need to track down that hatch chili tomatoes, is that very spicy?

Looks great! I am so doing this, don't know why I never thought of doing this in the smoker. To make it more carb friendly I will sub in black soybeans and riced cauliflower but otherwise will use your recipe. I need to track down that hatch chili tomatoes, is that very spicy?
They are not spicy at all. Thank you for the kind words and let me know how it turns out...

Looks delicious!
Thank you, Peach...
Good looking peppers. I'd be all over that!
Jim
Thank you, Jim. I appreciate it...
I’m a huge fan of stuffed peppers! They look great.
Thank you, Jeff...
GS, Nice twist on an old favorite!
I'm always looking to try something different with an old favorite from my younger days. Thank you...
Looks great, I will be making for my wife, we have found we like any colored pepper better than green, a lot of times the bitter flavor of the green is too much imo.
Our daughter won't eat the green bell peppers at all, but loves the colored ones. They are so much different in taste and texture, a favorite around here. Thank you...
Looks good! Great job!
Yankee, thank you...
Nice looking meal . I like the cook on the kettle too . First glance at the plated pic , I thought it was a slice of pizza .

I bet those are good . Never had those mixed , but I like the canned potatoes .
Whole or sliced . I do them in the crock pot with green beans and smoked sausage .
Nice work .
Chop, those canned beans and potatoes really do have a good flavor for something straight out of a can. No seasoning is necessary and anything to get the kids to eat vegetables...
Looks great. Have to remember this.
Thank you, give it a try...
Pretty spiffy plate there pal. Looks delicious. About the only thing bell peppers are good for is stuff’n. Nice job all around.
Edge, I appreciate it...
That all looks good. Dad was not a fan of Stuffed Peppers, so not something I grew up having. My Wife's Mom made them but Bev only eats the filling. Your combo of ingredients sounds a lot better than the typical Meat and Rice...JJ
Thank you, Chef. We had the traditional stuffed peppers with meat and rice growing up and I ate them and liked them, but always thought that there was something different that could be done to make them better. Using the colored peppers is a start and the sky and imagination is the limit with them...
Nice job they look great and a nice write up.

Warren
Thank you very much, Warren...
Looks Great, GS !!!
Nice Job!
I gotta look into the Beans & Taters.
Like.

Bear
Thank you, Bear. Hanover is a Pennsylvania company, your neck of the woods, and the can says "Product of the USA" on it. Try them and let me know how you like them...
Wow...those peppers look outstanding and the flavor combination sounds really good. I've loved stuffed peppers since the first time my mother served them to me when I was a kid. Might be about time to resurrect that love affair :emoji_wink: Very nice job.

Robert
Robert, thank you. It's flavors that we like and different from what I grew up with...

To those who make the decisions, Thank You for seeing something in my cook to make it worthy of a trip on the carousel...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky