Storying Pellets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Atl1530

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 6, 2019
Atlanta
I’m new to this, so if I asked stupid questions, please give me a break.

All right, so I picked up an A-Maze-N tube and a 40-pound bag of 100% hickory pellets. The 40-pound bag was the best price point for the 100% hickory bags on Amazon.

My guess is it’s going to take me a long time to go through 40 pounds. I live in Atlanta, Georgia where the humidity is high. What’s the best way to store pellets? I thought I could vacuum pack them in usable quantities.

Is there a better way?

Thanks

Clean, well sealed plastic container.

Chris

Get a couple 5 gallon buckets from home depot with lids. You could vac seal them but not sure if that's necessary unless you just want to. I usually zap mine in the microwave for 60 seconds before I light them up to suck out any extra moisture

The only issue I've had is cement. Don't let the bags sit on cement. it will draw the moisture out of your pellets and turn them to dust. If you're storing pellets in a shop or garage that has a cement floor don't set them on the floor but put a piece of plastic or plywood down and set them on the plastic or wood. Other than that, I open a 40# bag and just roll up the top when not in use.

IMG_0073.JPG
If you don't ask questions, you won't learn. We are especially open to all asking questions. There are no stupid questions, only stupid people making fun of anyone asking, and those we ban. Feel free to ask! Thank you for asking, so others will know too!

I store mine in plastic coffee cans outside on our back porch.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/bestcob®-corn-cob-pellets-for-amnps.149282/

Attachments

• IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thank You
I am sure I will have many many questions, but this clearly is a great place to learn.

Reactions: chopsaw
All of these ideas are great...now does anybody know of a way to store a half ton of them without adding an outbuilding:emoji_astonished:

Last edited:
Hmm... 50 -20#bags? Guess my 1st approach would be stacked neatly on a good 48x48 wood pallet or two in the garage. Assuming there's room?

Hmm... 50 -20#bags? Guess my 1st approach would be stacked neatly on a good 48x48 wood pallet or two in the garage. Assuming there's room?
Deffinitely on a pallet...I thought of using the garage but ruled that out rather quickly because well....I don't have one...LOL
And it 25 40# bags...LOL

Sound like we got the cart before the horse LOL.... No matter what it's probably going to require some money. Maybe airtight pet food containers. Betting this one will hold at least 2 40#bags. Issue might be weight on the wheels & cost. Another idea maybe plastic 55 gallon drums with sealable clamp lids. these should hold a number of 40# bags each.

I kept two tons in my garage, in their bags, but those were for my home heating stove, and I didn't have to worry about humidity, like we do with smoking pellets.

I guess if you don't have a garage, you could keep the bulk of them on a Pallet outside, but you would need a good waterproof tarp of some sort to put over the whole pile.
You couldn't leave them uncovered, because if the bags are anything like the ones I had for my heater, they had small holes in them from their packaging system, to keep the bags from ballooning.

Bear

Yeah I am looking in to the 55 gallon drums. Right now I have bags under every bed in my house and behind the couches against the wall. My wife is ready to stack them all into a pile and put me on top and light it up...LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky