storing peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chris_harper

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 21, 2006
Waco, TX
what will be the best way to keep the peppers i hope i get out of my garden? i want to be able to just grab a jar/can/whatever and stuff and smoke 'em.

I have the best luck pickling my peppers. I grow serrano, jalapeno, Indian, and of course bell peppers. I pickled the peppers and they seam to hold up better. But maybe someone else has a better idea.

You can make various sauce recipes or string them up to hang dry and then process into a powder that can be added to other dry seasonings or added to your favorite dishes.

chris -

You can pickle or freeze them. Keep in mind if you add 1 hot pepper to a quart of say green bell peppers they'll all be somewhat hot.

Freezing works well if you fry them but they will get limp.

Chris, we can ours bread N butter style. We use the same recipe we use for our pickles. They are fantastic. We also freeze them. We don't do anything to them either, and they thaw just fine. The best way we have found is to put them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and freeze them solid, then pack into a zip-lock. This way they don't freeze all stuck together and if we need 2, we take 2 out, if we need more, we take more out. This freezing technique came right from our county extension office.
Check with your extension office, and ask them about canning classes. Most offer a 1 or 2 day class once a year. They'll teach you the latest canning stuff, and check your gauge on your pressure cooker and your therms to make sure it's accurate. My wife never misses a class.

Gunny is certainly right about the extension service. They are great folks and will do a lot of things for you.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

A guy from work was telling me to take a jar of dill pickles place a cup of sugar in the jar, mix up the jar once a day for a week and after a week you have some great tasting pickles.

Have you heard of this before?

LOL
Sounds right to me Cheech!

PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

You take Duh lessons from me or what?

(Debi thankfully takes foot out of her mouth and places it in Cheechs)

Another thing you can do is add some horseradish along with the sugar to them, it is very good!!

Mark

Cheech -

I have never canned meat so I am trying to understand this principle ...

I am picturing a Ball jar full of venison covered in bacon grease? This doesn't even make sense to me I must be missing something.

icon_redface.gif

The bacon grease seals cooked food inside a container. Ususally the fat used is clarified butter. I suppose lard works just as well.

The most notable food preserved this way is potted shrimp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky