Storage of Electric smokers

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by davet102, Oct 10, 2015.

1. davet102

davet102 Newbie

Just purchased a Masterbuilt 30" smoker. Have used it several times and like how it functions and what has come out of it.

I live in Ohio and the weather is the typical Fall Cool/cold weather we normally get.

I am not ready to put this unit away yet, but my question is can I store this out side like I do with my propane smoker?

I have a cover for it.

Bob

2. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

yep mine stays outside on back patio all yr long we smoke all yr long,, even with the snow ,,, good luck and let us know 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

3. My ME40 stays on my front porch all year long with just the Masterbuilt cover on it. I do occasionally pit a small piece of plywood over it also since my porch doesn't have a roof, yet. That's number 5 on the honey-do list.

4. I have and store my MES 30 outside with a good cover on it year round. Out side storage has not come with out some  well one problem. I have a very good vinyl cover that is water proof. when I used the the Master built controller i would put a bowl over it filled with paper towels just in case it leaked. I did not. During the rainy days the heater element will soak up a little moisture from the air.  This September and early October it has been more wet that dry on the East coast.  I has soaked up Just enough to trip my GFI receptacle. I used a volt ohm meeter to determine I did not have a short  and I just plug it into a non GFI receptacle. After it heats up to over 200 degrees I can pick up my extension cord and use the GFI.   

I could close all the air off but then it would get a case of mold. 

My buddy DaRicksta lives in Seattle which also gets a lot of rain. He stores his on a hand truck in his garage and does not have any problems.   Jted

5. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I store mine in my garage under a MES cover I bought for it. We don't have a back porch anyway. I keep it bungee-corded to a hand truck and wheel it out whenever I use it then wheel it back in after it's been cleaned. Twice I've left it out all night because I was too late at night and I was lazy to clean it after it cooled down.