Stok Tower

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I nailed making and hand tossing pizzas down solid the first time in the oven (I use a Fibrament-d baking stone).

Everyone that has them say they are one of the best pizzas they have ever had.

The grill, I know what I need to achieve which is less heat from the bottom (the stone) and more from the top.

the problem is you are supposed to put the stone on then light the grill (never put a cold stone on a hot grill).

Well, if I do that, the charcoal lighter stays in.

However, I may throw the bbq gloves on next time, grab the stone out, pull the lighting can out and spread the coals out towards the edges more. This will allow more heat to rise around and less direct heat from the bottom.

Eventually I plan on getting another fibrament-d stone for the grill anyways so that may be sooner then later.

Nice !!!  Very Nice.

I think I am going to have to ask for one of these for my B Day. For me this would be perfect for the occasional snack while cooking on the big smoker.

The pie looks fantastic.

Interesting grill ya got there, from the looks of the grub it looks like you're learning how to use it.

I make pizza on my Weber Genesis and I have learned to raise the stone up off of the grill by setting it on some fire bricks, I also learned from someone, I don't remember who, to cook the dough on the stone first for a few minutes, then take it out, add the toppings on the cooked side and place it back on the stone to cook the bottom and toppings, first couple I made turned out burnt like yours, but cooking one side of the dough first works fine, good pizza.

Gene

I nailed making and hand tossing pizzas down solid the first time in the oven (I use a Fibrament-d baking stone).

Everyone that has them say they are one of the best pizzas they have ever had.

The grill, I know what I need to achieve which is less heat from the bottom (the stone) and more from the top.

the problem is you are supposed to put the stone on then light the grill (never put a cold stone on a hot grill).

Well, if I do that, the charcoal lighter stays in.

However, I may throw the bbq gloves on next time, grab the stone out, pull the lighting can out and spread the coals out towards the edges more. This will allow more heat to rise around and less direct heat from the bottom.

Eventually I plan on getting another fibrament-d stone for the grill anyways so that may be sooner then later.
Just so you know, I didn't mean it will take you awhile to learn how to make a pizza. I meant it might take awhile to get the baking of your pizza right in that new toy----Done to your liking, without any areas burned or not done enough. Sounds like you'll get there soon.

Bear

We cook pizza all the time on the grill with a pizza stone. You just have to keep checking it & when the crust is done the pizza is done. Sometimes only about 5 or 6 minutes.

Just so you know, I didn't mean it will take you awhile to learn how to make a pizza. I meant it might take awhile to get the baking of your pizza right in that new toy----Done to your liking, without any areas burned or not done enough. Sounds like you'll get there soon.

Bear

I knew what you meant, no worries. :)

We cook pizza all the time on the grill with a pizza stone. You just have to keep checking it & when the crust is done the pizza is done. Sometimes only about 5 or 6 minutes.

5-6 minutes and the crust would have turned to dust.

I actually left it on an upside down pan threw it in the Q for a few minutes then slid it off.

It was only on the stone for a few minutes.

Second Pizza turned out better because I did the same thing thing but longer on the pan and only about 2 min on the stone.

Still was burnt, just not as bad.

Next time, I will spread the coals out and leave it on an upside down pizza pan even longer.

That dough I am using is just not designed to cook at that super high heat.

However, I do have some really good flour that is so I may try that too.

Tonight southwestern marinated salmon with seasoned rice au gratin.

Tonight southwestern marinated salmon with seasoned rice au gratin.

MMMmmmmm........

popcorn.gif

Bear

5-6 minutes and the crust would have turned to dust.

I actually left it on an upside down pan threw it in the Q for a few minutes then slid it off.

It was only on the stone for a few minutes.

Second Pizza turned out better because I did the same thing thing but longer on the pan and only about 2 min on the stone.

Still was burnt, just not as bad.

Next time, I will spread the coals out and leave it on an upside down pizza pan even longer.

That dough I am using is just not designed to cook at that super high heat.

However, I do have some really good flour that is so I may try that too.

Your fire was too hot, so the stone got too hot. The purpose of the stone is to pull the moisture out of the crust. I keep the grill around 400 degrees. I also buy the dough at Walmart. It's where they sell their fresh pizzas you cook at home. A bag costs 88 cents & it will make 2 nice sized pizzas.

I will try the wallyworld dough (is it made in China like everything else they sell? j/k)

I have been buying Real Ny Pizza Dough ( http://rnypd.com/ ) which is excellent dough but just not really designed for super high heat. 

I agree though, the stone is too hot which is why I need to pull the charcoal can out.

I have a pretty decent understanding of what went wrong, I just need to figure out how to make it work on this Que.

The manufacturers meathod sucks.

I imagine my next Que pizza will be a 100x's better.

Maybe not perfect but still 100x's better

Cooking a Pizzas on a grill or a Head of of Romain is cool but how about Pork Ribs, Roast, Brisket a Tri-Tip or a 1 1/2" Rib eye ?    Grill looks a bit flimsy to, I have owned Weber's most of my life, was wanting something better even looked into getting a Kamado  but the cost.  Anyway, how does it over all work ?

Don't understand how it "looks" flimsy but I can guaranee you it is not flimsy.

As far as cooking anyything else, I imagine it will do fine.

I am sure if you go to your local Home Depot, they will have a model of it put together for you check out.

Only that ticks me off is they offered it on sale for $99 about a month after I bought it for $60 more. lol

$99........ WOW I haven't seen that yet. 

And the two that I have looked at were very sturdy to say the least. My first impression was that it was robust to say the least.

I picked up one of these once I saw that the price dropped to $99 in store.  So far I really like it.  Any tips from people that have one?  So far I've just done a steak and some burgers, but I'm interested to see if anyone has managed a decent smoke on one.

This is the best charcoal grill I have ever owned. Built more sturdy than the Weber. Easy to adjust the heat for long cooking periods. Stands taller than any other grill (advantage for me at 6'-4" tall). Built in chimney charcoal starter. Hood fits tight. Hood has great built-in thermometer, shows only 10 degrees higher than grate temp. Can grill direct heat or indirect heat. Slight modification to the Smokenator for long and slow wet or dry smoking using a Weber hinged grate available at any target for $18.00. All in all you can't go wrong, was on sale for $99.00 at Home Depot. They seem to have this sale every couple of months. Hope this helps.

Stok, they are a new grill.  I worked at the Depot until a couple of days ago, and Stok is awesome.  The propane grill has serious issues so until they fix the burner stay away.  But, the tower is awesome.  The burner is inconsistant and doesn't stay lit if it's windy.  Not to mention it's three hundred bucks.  But the tower on the other hand has nothing but rave reviews.

I will be picking one up soon.  I really like the inserts, not to mention that it's full of cast iron and well built.

Thanks for the pictures, it really sets me in my next grill!

I also have a stok tower grill and I've never owned a Weber, but I can imagine that my Stok works just as well as a Weber since the design is almost exactly the same.  I've smoked ribs and butterflied chicken, I've also done steak and pizza.  I've never had a problem and it works for me very,very well. With a full canister of coals and all holes closed the temp. reads about a constant 250 deg. I did a slab of spare ribs yesterday using a dry rub, mopping sauce and hickory chips and they turned out pretty, pretty good.  So, hooray for Stok Tower Grill... but with all do respect for Weber because it's been around for a long time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky