Stepping up to a brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jabo

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 29, 2006
I am going to smoke my first brisket this weekend, along with a variety of other stuff as I usually do (actually it will be Monday before I get to smoke). I have a few questions.
1. Should I marinate the brisket, if so suggestions please?
2. I use Jeff's rub on my ribs, can I use it on brisket as well?

I was thinking of a pineapple juice/Jack Daniels spray/mop, anyone ever tried anything like this?

It will be the virgin run for my Bar-B-Chef offset smoker that I just seasoned last night. On second thought I think I will do the brisket in my verticle smoker as I have more experience with controlling the temps on it and I don't want to screw up my first brisket.

Other things on the list to be smoked
Beer Can Chicken
Ribs
Boston Butt
a fatty or two
and of course some ABT's on my new Chile Grill.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Jamie

IMO. simpler is better with brisket. I like mine best with nothing but salt and pepper, or a dusting of Tony's creole seasoning. The meat has a flavor that will stand on its own.

Hey Jabo,
Rodger is right on. However, I have used Jeff's rub on brisket and it was wonderful and your mop sounds promising. I've never used that particular one but as has been said many times, its what you like that counts.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you might want to use the search feature on this fourm to review some of the suggested ways of doing the brisket. Also, don't forget to foil and put it in an insulated (blankets, old pillows etc) cooler for the finishing touch.

jabo, good idea on using your old smoker on the brisket, I am familiar with that 'Comfort Zone' feeling.

It's a nice feeling to add the one of the big three to your "can do" list- Ribs, Butts and Briskets.

Jeff's Rib rub works great on butts, so I think it should work great.

Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky