Steamed Bacon Wrapped Shrimp, Corn, Veg/Rice & Chargrilled Pork Patties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forluvofsmoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2008
I may be down tonight, but I'm not out. I had to do something familiar that I do well (cooking), and my outdoor kitchen seemed to be the place to make it all happen.

I had a bundle of leftover grilled corn which needed a revival, so I husked it all up and smeared some butter so a good dose of seasoning would stick around after it got reheated. Hmm, what shall I season with though? What do I use regularly which seems to go with everything? And what did I just so happen to have a bit of leftover from one of my last smokes? None other than Red Bell Pepper rub...yea...oh, I had to try it!

87b236ea_1.jpg

Buttered and dusted heavily with RBP on two sides:

d6a445da_2.jpg

No smoke going on here, not by definition at least...mainly just a 275* steam in the Smoke Vault 24:

1b3ecdd0_3.jpg

I had this craving for flirting with being handcuffed by the Cholesterol Police, and the best tools I had to raise some attention were shrimp and bacon...heavily seasoned with...yep, RBP, inside and out.

Yea, these lil' critters just look naked without a wrap:

3bdaeac0_4.jpg

One side dusted with Red Bell Pepper rub, only I ran the blend though my grinder to powder it up finely before hitting the shrimp:

18cfd5db_5.jpg

Second side dusted, and wrapped in hickory smoked goodness...my youngest daughter looked like she needed something to occupy herself with for a bit, so I asked her to do the shrimp/bacon prep for me while I got started on the rice (I think), anyway, she lended a hand in this, and did a fine piece of work getting the shrimp wrapped up safe & snug:

58444d34_6.jpg

And, of course a nice rub after a wrap to put the finishing touches on, and it's into the vault along with the sweet corn:

54a25272_7.jpg

Nope, no smoke pan in there...just gotta get some high temp steam to the corn to bring it back to life again:

5cb311e2_8.jpg

For the steamed veggie.rice dish, I started with parboiled rice...this was soaked in salt water for 4 hours, covered and steamed for about 8-10 minutes, then a frozen veggie blend added, returned to a simmering temp for about 4-5 mintues while slowly and gently folding every minute or so to get it mixed together, then removed from heat and kept covered while residual heat heat finished the veggies to a nice firm texture. I waited until the rice was aldente before adding the veggies:

26b997c6_9.jpg

Back to the meat of the meal...oh, no pics grilling the pork sausage patties...I did get this one though:

8d2b03c2_10.jpg

e6d0cf26_11.jpg

22f853f5_13.jpg

c0d14292_14.jpg

The corn was still pretty good after the reheat in the vault...a few pieces that were overcooked on the grill just didn't have anything left in 'em though as they still were a bit dry and chewy, but some of us like it that way...the shrimp was really good...had to get used ot the texture of the bacon being steamed and not getting crisp.

Not much to it, but made a nice meal in my out door kitchen anyway...and, yes, even the rice & veggies were cooked outdoors.

Great smokin', grillin' & steamin' to all!

Eric

Last edited:
That is a great looking meal my friend but this line had me rollin

I had this craving for flirting with being handcuffed by the Cholesterol Police, and the best tools I had to raise some attention were shrimp and bacon...heavily seasoned with...yep, RBP, inside and out.

Thanks Bear, yea, I thought someone would like that one!

I guess I mainly worded it that way with the intent to add that myself & my family don't eat meals that tip the scales of un-healthy like this very often...5 or 6 times a year......maybe.

Anyone who did eat like this regularly would be a cardiologists nightmare. This was just things I found in the freezer that I could toss together on short notice. The steamed corn and veggie/rice dish was relatively good for the health.

Eric

Everything looks great, what is the red bell pepper rub? That caught my interest.
Thanks, the RBP rub is in the Wikis...had a request for that a few months back. I will tell you up front that the dried chopped red bell peppers I use for the main ingredient are difficult to find, however, anyone who dries their own chilis/peppers, or dehyfrates cut up foods could make their own with little additional skills, equipment or knowledge.

I listed my source for them in the Wiki...oh, it's listed in the "R' section.

Enjoy!

Eric

Thanks, the RBP rub is in the Wikis...had a request for that a few months back. I will tell you up front that the dried chopped red bell peppers I use for the main ingredient are difficult to find, however, anyone who dries their own chilis/peppers, or dehyfrates cut up foods could make their own with little additional skills, equipment or knowledge.

I listed my source for them in the Wiki...oh, it's listed in the "R' section.

Enjoy!

Eric

icon_cool.gif

Now that's a dinner I could go for about now. But it's lunch and I'm now going out looking for a good shrimp lunch. I just happen to know of a good place for some was swimming yesterday place to get some shrimp too. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky