Steaks on Salt Block

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmardock

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 15, 2013
Orangevale, CA
Yesterday I decided to grill the last 2 steaks I had left in my freezer from a bulk order I received several months ago. One was a petite filet. I think the other was a sirloin.
I let it sit in my pellet smoker for about 45 minutes at 200. Then I transferred it to my gas grill on a salt block for a reverse sear. I seasoned the steaks with garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. I left off the salt since it was going on the salt block.

This brings me to the question, is there anyone out there who loves their salt block? I felt like it didn't bring much to the party. I've had success with a nice subtle salty kick when using the block for fish, and surprisingly, for baking chocolate chip cookies on (although it sounds gross putting those 2 things in the same sentence :emoji_laughing:). The steaks turned out without any noticeable saltiness. I had to add salt to them on my plate.

It had been about a year since I used the salt block. It was kind of fun, but It might be another year before I use it again.
Steak Salt Slab.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: shoebe and kruizer
This brings me to the question, is there anyone out there who loves their salt block? I felt like it didn't bring much to the party.
I was gifted one Christmas before last.
I have tried beef, pork and chicken on it and was unimpressed/disappointed with the outcomes.
I have not tried fish or baking on it, and probably won't after previous let downs.

Reactions: jmardock
First time I've heard of one so I don't know the point of it, but I sure wouldn't use it for steaks and if you salted one of my grilled steaks you'd get the snake eye....
Maybe it's meant for fish?

Last edited:
I have the blocks - only did shrimp and scallops on them - maybe its just me but they almost seem gimicky / for presentation purpose. I couldnt really tell much of a difference in taste. Still have them gathering dust in my cabinet

I have the blocks - only did shrimp and scallops on them - maybe its just me but they almost seem gimicky / for presentation purpose. I couldnt really tell much of a difference in taste. Still have them gathering dust in my cabinet
I am inclined to agree with you. Great for photos/presentation. Little else.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky