Steak Expert needed..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
HI All Today I was at Restaurant Depot looking at steak slabs, I didn 't know what would be the most tender.. I usually buy at my local market Strip/NY/Delmonico. I believe they are all the same cut/ Now back to RD which slabs would the most tender or are the same as Strip/NY/Delmonico. I don't want to spend $80-100 on a slab of meat that is as tough as the market ones.

Thanks Dan

IMO, there is no steak as tender as a "Ribeye" (AKA Delmonico), which is actually a steak sliced from a Standing Rib Roast (AKA Prime Rib).

Bear

^^^^^

What he said. Best all around steak in my opinion. Some say the filet is more tender, but for my dollar I'll take the flavor of the ribeye over the filet any day.

yeahthat.gif
 Ribeye/Delmonico YUMMMM!  I would rather have that steak than anything!

Kat

Hi All Thanks for the fast replies..I'm alittle leary about the Ribeye steak, last Xmas I got a standing rib roast from my local market,it was tough as hell.. I was under the impression that all rib roast should be tender, well not this one. I used to enjoy prime rib/ribeye steak at the restaurants but lastly most have come with way too much fat for my taste, so I swore off of them.I understand the need for some fat to keep the steak juicy.

Sirloins seem to a little tough for me also.

Thanks Again Dan

PS I/m not fan of fillets, not enough of that beef flavor for me.

Last edited:
Rib eyes are great. A nice Tri-tip can be pretty tender too, when cooked properly. The fat is primarily all surface fat and is easy to remove prior to the cook, or after. they can be hard to find on the right coast though.

Rib eyes are great. A nice Tri-tip can be pretty tender too, when cooked properly. The fat is primarily all surface fat and is easy to remove prior to the cook, or after. they can be hard to find on the right coast though.
LOL---Ahhhh, the Mythical Tri Tip?!?!
a37.gif
biggrin.gif

Bear

Most tender steak for beuf is the flat iron. 

More tender than tenderloin and flavorful like skirt steak. 

Most tender steak for beuf is the flat iron. 

More tender than tenderloin and flavorful like skirt steak. 
Have to disagree.   A Flat Iron can be made more tender by various means, but a tenderloin is more tender right from the start.

Dan, what exactly are you looking for ?  A slab to cut into individual steaks to be grilled/smoked ?  A loin that can be roasted/smoked and cut into nice thick servings ?  A hunk of meat that can be grilled/smoked whole then sliced somewhat thinly ? 

Hi All The last standing rib roast I bought was for X mas and it was not really good, tough as hell..Knda leary about that route once again.

Thanks Dan

Hi All The last standing rib roast I bought was for X mas and it was not really good, tough as hell..Knda leary about that route once again.

Thanks Dan
Wow!!!

Never heard of such a thing----A tough Prime Rib??? I think the ones I get are Choice---No more. You might have gotten "Select" or less. Maybe it was from an Old Jersey Milk Cow???

Only time I ever had one that was chewy was the one time I pulled it too soon---It was a little too rare. Now I always pull them between 137 and 142. Always melt in your mouth tender.

Bear

Last edited:
sirloins are ideal for kabobs, i wouldnt reccomend trying to grill sirloin as a you would a regular steak(unless you like eating tough leather..lol
roflmao.gif
) there's no fat, NO FAT=TOUGH..lol.

as everyone else has said, ribeyes are great and as you know know already strips are also awesome. i honestly think you cant go wrong with strips, ribeyes or porterhouses.

Wow!!!

Never heard of such a thing----A tough Prime Rib??? I think the ones I get are Choice---No more. You might have gotten "Select" or less. Maybe it was from an Old Jersey Milk Cow???

Only time I ever had one that was chewy was the one time I pulled it too soon---It was a little too rare. Now I always pull them between 137 and 142. Always melt in your mouth tender.

Bear
 me neither....something mustve went seriously wrong. details...???

In the case of the flatiron steak, the industry borrowed an old name for what it says is a new cut. The association claims it developed the flatiron as one of the first products to come from the muscle study. The research showed the cut, from the top of the steer’s shoulder, was the second-tenderest part of the carcass, right after filet mignon.

Ok Yes its second to the tender.  But its also 3 to 4 times cheaper? 

And has better flavor then a tenderloin.

Buy a cross rib sub primal and cut your own out, make rest into chuck roasts and ground beouf. 

Wow!!!

Bear
Actually ran into a really tough and crappy last year.  My cousin bought it at a small town grocery store for something like $3.49 per pound and did his first PR smoke with it.   Man, it was HORRIBLY tough.  Needless to say, that's the last time he bought meat there.      

I buy choice or Prime loins/steaks from Kroger, Whole Foods or Sams and while I've come across some that weren't quite as tender as others, can't say that I've ever bought one that was actually tough.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky