Steak, by RS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Just your ordinary HEB Prime 1 New York strip steak - 3/4-lb 3/4" thick.

Dry brined with kosher salt about 2-hours in fridge and then allowed to come to real room temperature (sit on counter 2-hours minimum). I like to keep steak elevated to avoid the steak soaking in its own juices - just seems cleaner to me. Prior to cooking add granulated garlic, granulated onion and fresh ground black pepper.
1.JPG

Build a fire - need a real good pile of very hot coals.
2.JPG

Knock down fire and arrange for cooking.
3.JPG

Position cooking grate and once hot hit it with wire brush.
4.JPG

Add steak cook 2-1/2-minutes.
5.JPG

Turn steak. Nice sear after only 2-1/2-minutes = hot fire.
6.JPG

Add asparagus spears tossed in EVOO and sprinkled with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
7.JPG

Continue to to toss asparagus spears around and after steak cooks for 2-1/2-minutes flip for additional 1-minute, then flip again for final 1-minute. Plate steak.
7a.JPG

When asparagus reaches your preferred degree of done-ness, plate asparagus and bring plate inside. Steak rested a minute or two while asparagus finished so I sliced the steak.
8.JPG

Mmmmmmmm peeeeerfect! Proceed to eat steak and asparagus.
9.jpg

That was good. The end.
X.JPG

Thanks for looking! I'm stuffed now 😎

Actually, I love mesquite for grilling steaks, but its hard to find quality mesquite around here, and you really have to build a large fire to get the mesquite to burn well enough to create the very hot coals that it is best known for. Most folks don't get mesquite burning hot enough and it smolders and produces an acrid taste. When used correctly there is nothing like it - in my humble opinion.

Reactions: chopsaw
Just your ordinary HEB Prime 1 New York strip steak - 3/4-lb 3/4" thick.

Dry brined with kosher salt about 2-hours in fridge and then allowed to come to real room temperature (sit on counter 2-hours minimum). I like to keep steak elevated to avoid the steak soaking in its own juices - just seems cleaner to me. Prior to cooking add granulated garlic, granulated onion and fresh ground black pepper.
View attachment 653703

Build a fire - need a real good pile of very hot coals.
View attachment 653704

Knock down fire and arrange for cooking.
View attachment 653705

Position cooking grate and once hot hit it with wire brush.
View attachment 653706

Add steak cook 2-1/2-minutes.
View attachment 653707

Turn steak. Nice sear after only 2-1/2-minutes = hot fire.
View attachment 653708

Add asparagus spears tossed in EVOO and sprinkled with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
View attachment 653709

Continue to to toss asparagus spears around and after steak cooks for 2-1/2-minutes flip for additional 1-minute, then flip again for final 1-minute. Plate steak.
View attachment 653710

When asparagus reaches your preferred degree of done-ness, plate asparagus and bring plate inside. Steak rested a minute or two while asparagus finished so I sliced the steak.
View attachment 653711

Mmmmmmmm peeeeerfect! Proceed to eat steak and asparagus.
View attachment 653712

That was good. The end.
View attachment 653713
Thanks for looking! I'm stuffed now 😎
hell yeah

Reactions: Retired Spook
Looks perfect! Cooked to perfection. I've been doing some Steaks over hot coals, been using Post Oak or Red Oak, thanks to chopsaw chopsaw for recommending last year. So much better and stronger tasting. Great work.

Perfect crust on that steak. Wood fired steaks are the bomb.
Resting the raw steak on the rack helps to dry the surface -> better crust.
But what happened to the other half of steak?

Reactions: Retired Spook
Hey Spook, love the steak! Cooking like that puts a taste in beef that's hard to explain and near impossible to get any other way.

Tell me about that fire pit. I'm looking to get me another since my el-cheapo from Lowe's rusted out...

Hey Spook, love the steak! Cooking like that puts a taste in beef that's hard to explain and near impossible to get any other way.

Tell me about that fire pit. I'm looking to get me another since my el-cheapo from Lowe's rusted out...
Best back yard purchase I ever made!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Don't want to change the point of your thread , but I use mesquite on just about everything . It's the best in my opinion . Like you say , perfect for beef .
If I could find it in good quality it is all I would ever use for grillin!

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky