Stay-at-home Jambalaya

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I picked up a few boxes of Zatarains jambalaya mix a few months ago before all this craziness began. Once again, I’m using what’s on hand without an unnecessary trip to the grocery store.

It’s the basic box recipe with some minor additions. I always liked adding homemade stewed tomatoes to mine...a can of fire roasted tomatoes subbed just fine.

Started by using half a chopped onion and 1 rib of celery sautéed with some olive oil.
844D89B7-653C-477C-9477-7B5801223CAD.jpeg

Then I lightly browned some homemade Cajun Sausage
5118D706-B378-4E12-8C5A-EF6226E09B50.jpeg

After the sausage was browned, I added the fire roasted tomatoes, water and the contents of the jambalaya mix.
F15B023F-E91F-4C40-A5B3-513DAA868B89.jpeg

Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat 25-30 minutes. I had a few raw shrimp left in the freezer (17 but who’s counting). They were thawed, peeled and thrown in during the last 5 minutes of cooking.

Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes, then mix to fluff the rice.
34B31E20-C1A6-4654-86ED-3BF526159039.jpeg

Serve and enjoy. I added a few shakes of Tabasco sauce to mine.
A89E0363-37A1-4798-9B47-386A54A8DB9E.jpeg

I also doubled the recipe, so this will be dinner again for us tonight and most likely a work lunch for me tomorrow.

Thanks for looking and Stay safe,

Joe

Damn Joe that looks outstanding! Bet that homemade sausage was a really nice addition. Could go for a big bowl about now. LIKE!

I would Like a Bowl Please !!! Looks Great

Gary

looks great Joe, if it weren't for the social distancing thing i'd be on your door step by noon.

Reactions: xray
Looks Great, Joe!!
Nice Job!
Like.
I made this awhile back & I still got the other 2 boxes in a cabinet!!
I wish I could add shrimp to my sausage too, but Mrs Bear won't stand for that!!

Bear

Looks really good Joe!
You made me go check the cupboard. I have red beans and rice but no jambalaya :-(
I get out about once a week to the grocery but I'm also trying to use up some of the things we have so I don't spend a lot of time in the store. I'm due for a run tomorrow and it won't take long to swing by the rice aisle. Thankfully I have plenty of sausage..
Dan
Like!

Virtual fist pump from north east Joe. That looks most excellent.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks awesome! I baught a box a while back. We had never tried it. Its good stuff! We added a can of diced tomatoes and smomed sausage. Next time I'll be adding shrimp! Your making me hungry!

Looking good!! I add my home made venison kielbasa to ours and some bell peppers and onions. Hard to beat for a quick cheap meal .

I'd be real happy putting a fork into that bowl Joe, good stuff there! RAY
Damn Joe that looks outstanding! Bet that homemade sausage was a really nice addition. Could go for a big bowl about now. LIKE!
Real nice lookin' meal Joe!

I could go for a bowl of that for sure.

BIG LIKE!

John
I would Like a Bowl Please !!! Looks Great

Gary

Thanks guys! It was a very good meal. Haven’t made it in awhile but I’ll have it again sooner.

looks great Joe, if it weren't for the social distancing thing i'd be on your door step by noon.

Thanks Jim! You could still come over, I could slide a bowl through the doggie door like they do in solitary confinement!

Looks Great, Joe!!
Nice Job!
Like.
I made this awhile back & I still got the other 2 boxes in a cabinet!!
I wish I could add shrimp to my sausage too, but Mrs Bear won't stand for that!!

Bear

Thanks Bear! I have 2 more boxes left and homemade sausage. It’s the shrimp I’m out of. I enjoy it but you could always add chicken and sausage for the extra meat.

Looks really good Joe!
You made me go check the cupboard. I have red beans and rice but no jambalaya :-(
I get out about once a week to the grocery but I'm also trying to use up some of the things we have so I don't spend a lot of time in the store. I'm due for a run tomorrow and it won't take long to swing by the rice aisle. Thankfully I have plenty of sausage..
Dan
Like!

Thanks Dan, well did you find some??

I have the red beans and rice mix too, that’s good stuff as well. I’m sure I’ll make that too if we’re quarantined even longer!

LIKE!
This here Bama good'ol boy gives his whole hearted approval.

Thanks John! It was a good zombie apocalypse dinner, got 2 days out of it and a lunch for today.

Virtual fist pump from north east Joe. That looks most excellent.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris! Tried using the fist emoji, but typing on SMF is hell on a phone. Thank you again

Looks awesome! I baught a box a while back. We had never tried it. Its good stuff! We added a can of diced tomatoes and smomed sausage. Next time I'll be adding shrimp! Your making me hungry!

Thanks Travis. It’s been awhile since I made it, but always added homemade stewed tomatoes to it, had none of that but plenty of fire roasted canned tomatoes. It was good and the shrimp is a nice addition, especially when I had a few on hand.

Looking good!! I add my home made venison kielbasa to ours and some bell peppers and onions. Hard to beat for a quick cheap meal .

Thanks Tony! It really is hard to beat when it’s cheap and quick and especially better when you don’t have to go out for ingredients. I wish had a bell pepper to sweat with the onions and celery. Didn’t hit the trinity but it was all good.

Looks awesome !! Now try that in a fatty !! :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks! That sounds like a good idea! You try it?

Thanks Travis. It’s been awhile since I made it, but always added homemade stewed tomatoes to it, had none of that but plenty of fire roasted canned tomatoes. It was good and the shrimp is a nice addition, especially when I had a few on hand.

Thanks Tony! It really is hard to beat when it’s cheap and quick and especially better when you don’t have to go out for ingredients. I wish had a bell pepper to sweat with the onions and celery. Didn’t hit the trinity but it was all good.

Thanks! That sounds like a good idea! You try it?
Yes sir.. I now use smoked gouda chess under and above the filling before rolling.. It helps keep it all together when slicing..Here is one where i did a different cheese on the bottom.

Reactions: xray
Yes sir.. I now use smoked gouda chess under and above the filling before rolling.. It helps keep it all together when slicing..Here is one where i did a different cheese on the bottom.

Thanks for that heads up, they look awesome! Sorry for missing that one.

Excellent looking meal there. Got a box of that, some canned tomatoes from last year's crop, and some fresh andouille that just came out of the smoker ( 1st time made ). It's now on the menu. Thanks...

Xray had me going, I had to follow suit. I did not have celery or the shrimp :emoji_sob:
added my stewed tomatoes and freshly made andouille. Very good...Thanks for the idea Joe.
20200403_170555.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky