Starting Suasage Making

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Boyko has an article on (How to handle natural casings) in the sausage sticky. READ IT. It will save you a lot of head banging.

Good luck!!

Oh, you dont need to use a picnic. I go with all pork and skip the added beef. keep the meat to fat ratio to around  80/20 to 75/25. Make sure you measure and don't guess.

Thanks for the link and the tips!

Yesterday while I was on Walton's website ordering the casings, I picked up some of their Signature Smoked Kielbasa seasoning. I hope that is not frowned upon too hard. I just figured for my first batch KISS. That way I will not be over thinking it all. I can focus on the grinding, mixing, stuffing and smoking. Then after I feel comfortable with the process I will start fine tuning things with some of the great ideas that have been shared with me.

Ok after Boykjo's last post= Confused again!

Question- I understand the 80/20 pork/fat ratio. But was planning and a slight amount of beef to the mix. As I have been reading a 80/20 pork to beef mix. I get that. Now talking fat content.  If I was going to go pork/beef at 80/20 what would be the fat content? Something like 70/15/15 pork/ beef/ fat by weight?

I was thinking I could get a pork butt and some chuck roast at about a 80/20 weight ratio trim them up grind, mix and stuff.

I don't mind doing my own homework but could someone please sort me out on this.

Ok. For my first batch, I want to do 20lbs of mixing material. Could someone please break it down for me, how many pound of pork/beef/fat?

I know I am overthinking this.

Thanks again for all the help!

I would remove the fat from the chuckies and the butts and set aside. Weigh out the lean and the fat and mix the ratio 80/20. So if your goal is 20 lbs that will be 16 lbs of lean and 4 lbs of fat  for weight. Grind, season, stuff... I wouldnt' worry about being precise on how much beef to add to the pork. just as long as your in the ballpark of your desired amount of beef. So I would find somewhere in the range of 2 butts around 9 lbs each and 4 lbs of chuck roast. Remember when the bone is removed from the butt you should lose around 1/2 lb depending on the size of the bone

Last edited:
H77, As others have said read Boykos tips on casing prep and as Dave O said your casings packed in salt will last for years. Another great starter book is Rytek Kutas book "Great sausage recipes and Meat Curing". Have fun !!!

Thanks for the replies. I did a reread of Boykos sticky on casings. All is good there now.

Thanks Boykos for sorting that out for me. As I take not only is the 80/20 rule for the meat, pork to beef. But overall 80/20 meat mix to fat. I completely understand now. 

I am sorry yet another question- The place I get my butts from are I guess you could say are on the lean side. There is usually a good fat cap on them. Same with the Chuck (lean, no fat cap, lol). What if I come up short on the fat content, will that effect the finished product. Or if this is the case is there something to add to it? I guess I will not know until I start dissecting the actually meat. Never really cut a butt up, but have run numerous butts in the smoker. I have ran many chuckies in the smoker, and crock pot. I do however cut them up and marinade for kabobs.

So I do have that going for me, having worked somewhat with both hunks of meat!

Thanks again for all the help!

I would go to your local butcher shop and ask for some pork fat. I think you have a Dick's meat market there in adrian. Try them. Should be able to pick some up for about 1-2 dollars a lb. you can freeze what you dont use.

Thanks, I never thought of that!

At first when I saw your last post Boykjo, I thought how the hell did he know that! Did you do a search or do have knowledge of my area? Dick's is OK to me though there prices are very high, quality is.... well it is what it is, that's all I will say about that.

Well a BIG THANK YOU TO ALL for all the help. Now I am just gonna wait for my supplies to come in, and give it a shot. I am excited, am sure will learn more as I go!

Dave.

We'll since you havent put your location in your profile
hit.gif
  and to answer your question I searched  threads you started and luckily in roll call you introduced yourself and told a little about yourself. Then I did a search for butcher shops in your area. I was going start my last post with "Dave" but I thought that would have really freaked you out...lol. 

Location is set now. Thought I did that oops.

Boykjo, when I saw that I am sure the look on my face was priceless....LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky