Starting charcoal chimney - new technique for me

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I've been using a charcoal chimney for as long I can remember. Paper and charcoal starters were my go-to s over the decades. Well, that's all changed recently.

We were saving egg cartons for one of my wife's coworkers. Turns out the egg lady had plenty, so we had a bunch of cartons. Hmmm, how to use them? Turns out they make the BEST chimney starters.

Cut a square block of four egg holders. Tear half a paper towel and press it across the squares. Sprinkle a tsp or two of vegetable oil (new or used) over the paper towel. Light, cover with loaded chimney, and watch how long it burns. Chimney gets lit nicely, WAY faster than using paper. It's been too long since I used the Weber starters to make a comparison.

There's a bit of black smoke when the oil ignites, but it doesn't last long unless you added too much oil. Give it a try.

My Mom used eggs cartons, sawdust and wax to make fire starters. I think it was a girl scout thing from when my sisters were little.

My Mom used eggs cartons, sawdust and wax to make fire starters. I think it was a girl scout thing from when my sisters were little.
I use egg cartons, dryer lint and candle wax for fire starters, works like a charm for camp fires, but I never use this for cooking.

For firing up the chimney, if not using paper, I set it over the side burner of my grill. Crank the burner to med-high and have the chimney lit in no time.

I used to rub bacon grease into a 4 section of an egg carton.
Reverse for us. Wife's new co-worker has chickens and ducks so we giver her all the cartons.
Oh I love farm fresh eggs. We get 1/2 dozen every other week.
We still buy a dozen store bought eggs per week

Now, I use the grease soaked paper towels after cooking bacon or sausage and roll up with the pieces of brown paper liner of the charcoal bags.
I do not use any paper that has ink

Oiled or Greased Paper here. No issues. My wife made the lint, waxed egg carton deal once. It worked ok in the wood stove. But we get so much mail that we just light the fire with it.
I second Fresh Eggs. We started raising Chickens back in April and the three Ladies have been laying about 2 months now. Got 7 more Pullets that will be old enough end of Dec, but don't expect much until the Spring...JJ

Cut a square block of four egg holders. Tear half a paper towel and press it across the squares. Sprinkle a tsp or two of vegetable oil (new or used) over the paper towel. Light, cover with loaded chimney, and watch how long it burns. Chimney gets lit nicely, WAY faster than using paper. It's been too long since I used the Weber starters to make a comparison.

I am assuming you are using the cardboard type egg cartons and not the styrofoam type? Correct?

John

Reactions: noboundaries
Good catch! You are correct.

Edit: I think they banned Styrofoam egg cartons a while ago here in California. All I see now are the pressed paper ones.

Last edited:
Good catch! You are correct.

Edit: I think they banned Styrofoam egg cartons a while ago here in California. All I see now are the pressed paper ones.
They're still around, saw them at Sam's club recently. Ironically, I think it was egglands best or some other organic company. I also see the plastic ones for Costco eggs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky