Started building my first reverse flow pit this weekend. Here are some pictures of the progress. 20"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I built the stand with wheels I bought from Tractor supply on Sunday. She moves around very easy. At 140.1# per foot and 8 feet of pipe she will be heavy.

Today I will start cutting the doors out and making hinges. I am trying to come up with a hinge design that will cause the door to lift out before it roles back. So I can install a 1" lip seal around the door and it not drag when opening. I will also need to design a door counterweight/Stop for each door. They will be heavy as well.

Any input on number of doors on the smoker section? Two 2'Plud feet doors or one 4'6" door?

The firebox will have a lid door so I can use it to Grill on as well.

I have a 24" plow disk wok and burner. I am planning to install it to the opposite end of the firebox. Thinking about building warming shelf on the back of the firebox to heat a pot of beans or whatever.

Got the two 24" doors cut today. Tomorrow I will build my hinges and then finish cutting out the doors and install the seal lips.

Wow that's a beast brother very nice work. :D At this rate you will be cooking before Friday.
Looks-Great.gif

I hope so. I would love to fire it up this weekend.

Heading out now to get material for the handles.

Any advise? I am thinking making some wood grips or the spring handles off hammer chisels.

Personally I would not use chipping hammer springs they are kinda small. You could order SS springs today and maybe have them by Thursday. Or another option is wooden hatchets they are used a lot as handles.

I like those wooden handles. Nice pit. I went and bought a hickory post hole digger handle. Cut it and drilled it. Was working perfect until my door fell shut and the one on it split in two! Lol

Time to laminate it back together I think.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky