Started build. Got a few questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Canadagrown

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 5, 2019
ACF51DFA-8A82-48C2-B58A-143CB5BD2CB2.jpeg B907209E-3C2E-4B95-93BE-EEA48E5A07BE.jpeg As you can see by the pics I’m on my way to having this thing disassembled. I have a few questions at this point.
Can I reuse the insulation that is currently in there? And if so, do I even need to take it out?
Also, what would you guys suggest for a PID and smoke source for this unit? I’m leaning towards doing the side mailbox thing.
And one more, what sort of pipe material and diameter would be ideal to pipe the smoke from mailbox to the unit?

I’ve done a fair bit of reading on here and thank you all for the ideas so far.

Jeff

I would not reuse the insulation. I replaced it with rock wool insulation on my build.

I also just burn wood from an independent firebox below the actual fridge. Used a 6” chimney pipe from fire box to the bottom of the fridge. Fire box is 3/16” steel.

Mine runs like a dream as far as regulating temp. Uses very little hickory to smoke and will go up to 450+ degrees so I could make a pizza if I ever get the gumption to do it. No flames ever touch outside he firebox so I can’t burn out the fridge smoker.

CG,
I would second Slapahoe. I replaced mine (it was cardboard) with Roxul. Cost $15.00 with left over to spare. I can get mine to 400* + as well if needed. I am set up on electric but could do an offset or mailbox but haven’t because the Amazn products make it optional for me.

As for temp controls I went with an off the shelf Baylite system. But as Braz mentioned, an Auber system would give more range (I am limited to 230* with the Baylite). Regardless, looks like a fun build. Take your time and do it right because now is the time while it is stripped. Good luck and look forward to some Q views.

Slapahoe’s build:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/crosley-shelvador-fridge-build.273187/

My build:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/1940-ge-fridge-build.279486/

- HS

Thanks for the replies. I know very little about hooking up elements and temp controllers. Any direction on a place I could do some reading to educate myself?

As I stated, mine is simple (because I am no expert). Use the search function on this site for Auber and PID. You will learn plenty in no time. Seriously.

Good luck.

- HS

How’s the build going?

I’ve kinda hit a plateau for now. Trying to decide on how I’m gonna do a side mailbox type mod and also decide on an element and PID. I’m not very well versed in those things so I’m doing more reading on my spare time than building.

Also, Rock wool is $60 a bail here in Canada and that is much more than I will need. I’m trying to find a cheaper source or maybe even leave the insulation that’s in there?

I left the fiberglass insulation in mine. You should be fine if that’s what it is.
I have an 1800 watt 240v element in my smoker. I tried using hot plates but couldn’t get the smoker hot enough when it was filled with 30 lbs of meat. I’ve heard of people using comparable 120v elements with success. Just depends on how warm it is outside when you cook.
PIDs vary. I have built 2 smokers with a pid and relay. They are the most accurate but you need to know how to do basic wiring. Auber pids are more money but no wiring required.
Good luck. Keep us posted

Thanks for the reply. I’m trying to get my shit together 100% before drilling holes, etc. Where did you pick up your element? I’ve searched for them but they really vary in price. Not sure what is different about them.

Too bad yer so far away. I e got half a thing of rock wool insulation sitting on a shelf in the garage, leftover from my build. It wasn’t cheap here either. I hate to throw it away.

I would replace it tho. I wouldn’t want to put all that effort into the build and then regret not doing it the way it really should be done. On another note. My step dad has a 30+ yr old fridge smoker he built a when I was a kid and he never insulated it at all. It’s a stick burner like mine and he mainly cold smokes with it but I think it smokes high temps when it’s not winter here ?

Take advice from a guy that has been in the business for 30+ years. Leave the insulation in it. Rarely does a person smoke above 250. If you do, your cooking in the wrong appliance.
as far as the element, look on Appliance Warehouse. I’ve bought several. Cheap too. Keep me posted as to how things go

Fellow Canadian here also i just finished my fridge smoker, i replaced my insulation with roxul from home depot i used about half a bundle it was rated for stupid flame resistance i felt little better that way, i bought a pellet hopper assembly at smoke daddy inc the exchange and shipping sucks but it was delivered pretty fast

Reactions: fullborebbq
Hey all. I’m getting back going with this build. Picked up some Rockwool off a buddy and gonna get that out in ASAP.
My next question is this: ive never cut holes in metal before. What’s the best way to do that? Also, how can I attach the chimney to the fridge and keep it looking good? Are there flanges for this purpose? Same question for my air intake, etc. Thanks!

As for the holes start with a drill and use a pair of tin snips if you do not have a large hole saw. A jig saw will also do the job. as for the chimney I used a 4" to 3" duct reducer and made the rest of the chimney out of 3" double wall. I made a 4" hole and then I cut the 4" reducer every 1/2". I pushed it through the hole and bent over the tabs to hold it in place. I have pics somewhere Ill try to find them. they are on the first page of my build thread. You can see then on the picture of the lollypop vent Third picture shows the folded over tabs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky