Starlink Satellites

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Are these similar to the iridium flares? I used to track those and they were very cool.
Not sure what an iridium flare is but there is a tab to select “Iridium Flares” and the software will calculate “Predict Passes” once you select your location.

There is some controversy associated with the StarLink project which intends to bring high speed internet availability to about everywhere. They reflect a significant amount of light which is really messing with those in the field of observing the stars. ie telescopes, astrophotography etc..

Starlink are LEO (Low Earth Orbiting) Satellites, that Elon Musk owns and will provide very low Internet access to users with high throughput (better than 5G) at a very cheap cost for the home terminal.

When I first saw the “string of pearls” I thought WTF am I witnessing. All sorts of crazy ideas were floating around in my head. It will be interesting to see what the cost is for Internet once the system is up and running. Can’t be cheap to launch all those satellites. My understanding is it will be especially beneficial to remote locations, I’m currently paying $100/month for Xplornet so if this system will lower that cost I’ll be a customer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky