Standing Rib Roast vs. Rib Eye Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scootermagoo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 2, 2011
Algoma, WI
Without trying to sound like a boob or a moron, what is the difference between these two cuts?  I searched the forums and got some really good information, but the reason I ask this question.......AGAIN......is:  Can these cuts of beef be used interchangeably?  Is this a simple yes or no answer?  I want to do a Prime Rib for Christmas or New Years eve.  I went to Sam's Club and they have display cases LOADED with Rib Eye Roasts but no Standing Rib Roast.  They do not stock Standing Rib Roasts anymore.  What do I do?

In my neck of the woods, a  rib eye roast has no bones. Otherwise, same hunk of meat. Also, the trimming may be slightly different.

Last edited:

In my neck of the woods, a  rib eye roast has no bones. Otherwise, same hunk of meat. Also, the trimming may be slightly different.

Hmmm, you know what?  I never picked up one of the Rib Eyes to see if the bones were left in.
Yep yep, AK1 is correct.  Standing Rib roast still has the bones either attached, or separated then tied back on with butcher's twine.

Names can get a bit confusing.   For example, I've seen it as a "Standing Rib Roast", "Bone in Rib Roast," "Whole Bone in Ribeye", "Bone in Ribeye Roast", yada, yada, yada.

Similarly, I've seen "Boneless Rib Roast, "Boneless Ribeye Roast", "Whole Boneless Ribeye", yada, yada, yada.

Then you get into the more exotic nomenclature based upon how it's trimmed, i.e. Ribeye Roll, Lip-on, etc.

Yeah, I thought I saw something like "2 lip" on the label of that ribeye. Not sure what that means.

Back when i started cutting meat we would call the first 5 bones (from the loin end) the "Prime rib" and the last 2 were called the "standing rib" back then the cap was also still on the standing rib roast and generally had the plug fat and more marbling .the last 15 years or so the cap is usually removed at the packers and the whole 7 bone rib is sold as "prime rib".( some store label as cap removed) .when rib bones removed and tail trimmed the whole thing  is classified as the "rib eye" in B.C Canada.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky