Standard Oil Company Barrel Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jharrigan07

Original poster
Jan 10, 2014
I have been scouring the internet trying to find a picture of a grill my grandfather had long before I was born.  As I understand it, it was made from a Standard Oil Company 56 Gallon Barrel (curved sides, not a drum) standing vertically on a wheelbarrow type frame with one steel wheel.

I am hoping to reconstruct it, but was wondering if anyone on here (this is definitely the place) has seen one, or has a picture.  I figure someone built a number of these at one time, and was hoping to find one to copy.

Thanks for the help!

James

I changed my avatar to the barrel type in question!

Last edited:
I finally found, and uploaded a photo of the grill in question.  Now begins the process of trying to recreate it!

James

no-pics.png

Alright, here are pictures of the original grill and the finished grill.  The family lore says there was a forge blower on the original, so I had them add one to the bottom off a T above the ash pan.  I figured if it didn't work so hot as a grill maybe I could use it as a forge!  This thing can get really hot with a few cranks of the blower, but the charcoal disappears faster than you can imagine. I cooked a couple 2.5" bone in Ribeyes and some burgers, and thus far it works great.

I was bummed when they delivered it that it didn't have the curved legs like the original, but it is plenty stout and will last me a lifetime.

View media item 412154
View media item 412155
(the forge blower is on the opposite side)

I would say the lid weighs 20lbs...but all told I am happy with it.

Standard Oil....

Now there is a name from the past.  Some of us actually remember Standard Oil, and the day's before self-serve.  The only way you got gas was when THEY pumped it for you while someone washed your windows, checked the oil, and the air in your tires.

Yeah, I'm old....

And that's still a pretty cool looking grill even if it's not 100% what you remembered.

Last edited:
That was part of the trouble with building the grill in the first place.  The lid came off a barrel from 1915, which was a little hard to find.  The exist all over the place up near Michigan, but in Texas they are a little harder to come by. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky