Stainless Vertical Insulated Rotisserie Woodburner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Furrylittleotter

Original poster
Feb 2, 2018
Olympic Peninsula
Greetings meatheads, I’m converting a giant Hobart rotisserie HGFR-12 into a firebox smoker. Will probably add a second spit and mount a wood stove (standard fireplace insert I got off craplist) in the bottom. Will add a top cover and rockwool insulation.

It’s big. It’s heavy. It should be fun. I plan to smoke butts, chickens, ribs, possibly piglets and brisket.

The unit has two catalytic gas burners in top, one “show” burner in bottom rear. It also has a light and circulating fan.

I plan to smoke with wood only, as God intended.

I have a stoker fan already and ordered two smokeware stainless adjustable chimney caps.

I am considering using a controller to regulate the stoker fan

Unit has a stainless floodable drip pan I will probably lower and retain.

I may add a stainless lp burner in the woodstove for a log starter.

I have built a firebox with a “snorkel” to transfer the heat and smoke into the cooking chamber.
It is on wheels and I can roll it out when cleaning the cooking chamber.

The rotating meat and possibly using the circulating fan should ensure even cooking(?)

I will probably add slide in racks to increase versatility.

I have added a “bypass” flue stack with damper to isolate as needed.

Unit will be attractive and not look “cobbled” or homebuilt. I want something I can be proud of, will be efficient enough to cook just a few birds at a time if I want.

In other words, I know it is big but I want to make it efficient enough to cook small as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Neil

Last edited:
281752CE-F076-420F-8216-7E0584F92DAA.jpeg
D148FED3-1FDD-4F2C-9098-EAFDE35E4842.jpeg
A8E8AD5D-7BEE-4254-A5EE-3CD886CF184A.jpeg
3D80B3A5-DA29-445C-AA0D-3BFC19B77D0F.jpeg
1BD6BCC7-5BA9-416B-87AB-FEE3EB66E5EF.jpeg
5C692326-60BC-4745-8A66-9785E16314BD.jpeg
895BC594-8748-48FC-8047-2AE02882A19F.jpeg
94B0DEF6-B58F-46CC-956A-37176C1CD825.jpeg

Last edited:
So far I strippped the unit down to its frame, removed the gas heaters, lights, controls, etc. I removed the water pan and lowered it to its lowest level.
I completely reconfigured the woodstove into a firebox with snorkel to feed heat OVER the drip pan (previously water pan) and will cover the snorkel with a piece of stainless to keep it clean.

The firebox is on wheels and I can roll it out when I clean the cooking chamber.

I bought rockwool to insulate and have collected enough stainless to wrap the insulation so it will be stainless inside and out.

The doors are glass, I may try to seal them if I can.

I may build an insulating blanket to cover the doors.

I may build an insulating “skirt” or removable insulating panels to try and contain some heat from the firebox.

I have two sets of rotisserie “wheels” one hold 7 spits, the other holds 8.

One is regular, one is a “planetary gear “ setup where each spit spins individually.

I have some round spits and some chicken bars, I want to buy or build rotisserie baskets

029D71BE-5CAC-41E0-9015-7F3CE7482B83.jpeg
E652953C-395E-435A-8BC3-A10066692D59.jpeg
48DD815D-A997-4390-9450-97F4BA0BEFEC.jpeg
7608DAB6-757C-4265-B732-4CDE82C37E45.jpeg
As you can see here I have massive amounts of stainless I have accumulated over time. Some from craplist, some from the side of the road.

I am thrilled to not be welding and grinding for the first time in several days. It’s fun at first but gets old fast with crappy tools and seaming scraps together.

I got the firebox done and that was quite an accomplishment.

Now onto sheet metal...

Neil

I made a little more progress on the smoker. I had to cut apart the “shaft mounting collars” that attach the rotisserie wheels to the shaft on the 8 spit wheels They were stainless and the bolts had all welded themselves together so out came the angle grinder and I purchased steel hubs for a go cart I can replace them with.

I haven’t made any other progress because I needed access to a strong 48” brake. My 36” harbor freight is no match for 16g stainless.
I just started a new job that gives me access to one and a plasma cutter which should make quick work of the sheet metal work I need to do.

Maybe I can do that this week and then I will be ready to start smoking.

I spent the entire weekend burning the huge soaking wet waste pile the previous homeowner left me. I did it by attaching a long 4” steel vent pipe to the rotisserie fan. This created a huge stoker for the burnpile. It still took forever but I’ve never seen soaking wet wood and brush burn so hot!

I was doing the wrong kind of smoking but wow what a sense of accomplishment to have that eyesore gone!

I also picked up a $150 riding mower so I can cut our acre in less than an hour, that leaves more time for smoking and smoker building!

Neil

I made some more progress this weekend I got the rotisserie shaft, wheels and spits modified to go in. I’m going to start using the eight spit wheel version first. This unit was originally a 7 spit rotisserie. With the 8 spit setup I can run 8 spits up to 7” deep or 4 spits 14” deep. I cut down the spits that I have to the proper length and then riveted them back together. I also moved the mounting hole location for the mainshaft to maximize the available space. I fabricated some aluminum blocks to use as bearings. I had to drill a lot of holes in the stainless metal and that is a major pain in the ass. It is extremely difficult to machine stainless using handheldpower tools. I got it done though. Then I cleaned the cabinet with oven cleaner. It was absolutely disgusting. I painted the firebox with supposedly heatproof paint. Will post more pics soon.

Neil

AC08FF55-AB47-4B52-B6D4-0C0C4EB6CEEC.jpeg
Oops this just happened. This came up on craigslist for free several weeks ago and he finally returned my email and here it is. It’s a Welbilt brand, in excellent condition, almost completely stainless inside and out. Polished stainless inside.

I will make this a woodburner as well.

Should be fun.

Neil

E90E44B6-125F-477C-AA9D-3EE4849C1642.jpeg
487FD9C7-B185-4442-A77E-9885C35A7E0E.jpeg
02B14E2F-5006-4211-8A89-78C51910DEC6.jpeg
I made more progress: I made a bracket and mounted the gearmotor, which ran for a day and a bearing failed. It ran about 6 rpm at the rotisserie and drew 5 amps. I then made a new (Black) bracket and mounted the 30:1 gearmotor which draws .5 amp And turns the rotisserie at .9 rpm, which is slow enough to load and unload racks while turning so, while I do have the option of changing sprockets, I might just leave them be! I believe I am going to run 4 racks to start: 14”x36” chrome “Metro” style shelves modified to hang from skewers. May have this thing cooking next week! Neil

Attachments

• 06D0F77E-6697-491C-A27B-E6BA5CBB0585.jpeg
    06D0F77E-6697-491C-A27B-E6BA5CBB0585.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 14
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky