Stainless cook chamber build Reverse Flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kingddemo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
           I've been researching build details for a few months since I picked up this water filter tank.  It is 304 SS, 30" diameter X 55" long, 3/16" thick.  36944.83 cubic inches.  I've built a firebox 27.5 X 24 X 24 from 1/4" steel plate.  This is 122% of the recommended size.   I have made the 1/2" thick door end 2" bigger all around to have a place to attach the jacketting over the insulation. The opening from the FB to the CC is 155.76 sq in, 27" long  8  3/4" tall with a    1  1/2" grease dam.  There are 6  FB intakes 2  1/4 X 3 on the door.  I scored some SS 1/8" diamond plate & made the intake sliders from that stock with 3/16" spacers welded to the guides.  My chimney will be 6" dia. X 30" long.  (24" is recommended).  I'll post pics of progress so far.  This might take a while to finish, but I'm a detail oriented machinist/welder, and there's no need to rush something that will last a long time.            

Finally got time to insulate and weld the 1/8 steel jacket on the firebox. Used 2' X 4' pieces of 2" thick mineral wool insulation. 3 pieces worked out just right.

Has anybody thought about putting some vent holes on the bottom of the jacket to allow airflow from expansion & contraction due to the repeated heating & cooling?

I had some 20" pipe that I originally planned on being my firebox, but it was too small. I cut 2 pieces of it 6" long to be the wheels. I cut the centers from 2 old trailer wheels & trued them up on the lathe. I'm using 1/2" pipe for the spokes. In order to center it all up, I cut the pipe 1" short & put in a 2" long 5/8 bolt with a nut threaded right up to the head. This allows the hub to be adjusted perfectly centered then weld it all together. The first pic is a hub, spoke & bolt.

I had some 20" pipe that I originally planned on being my firebox, but it was too small. I cut 2 pieces of it 6" long to be the wheels. I cut the centers from 2 old trailer wheels & trued them up on the lathe. I'm using 1/2" pipe for the spokes. In order to center it all up, I cut the pipe 1" short & put in a 2" long 5/8 bolt with a nut threaded right up to the head. This allows the hub to be adjusted perfectly centered then weld it all together. The first pic is a hub, spoke & bolt.

Interested in this as I am getting ready to make 36" and 20" wheels for mine (to look like old tractor wheels)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky