St Louis Ribs - First Smoke on the MBGS 800

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bcaruthers

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 14, 2022
Nampa, Idaho
I decided to smoke some St. Louis ribs for my first smoke on the MBGS 800. I rubbed them this morning around 8 am with Sucklebusters SPG, Sucklebusters Hog Waller, and a light dusting of Traeger Pork & Poultry. Used yellow mustard as a binder. I’m using Masterbuilt lump charcoal with apple wood chunks in the hopper and the ash grate. Going to smoke at 235 F. 3 hours uncovered with an apple juice spritz every 45 minutes. Then 1 1/2 hours covered with butter and brown sugar. Then finish with Blues Hog Tennessee Red glaze for 30 minutes. Got the ribs on the smoker at about 12:30 PM. More updates to come.
4A59B84F-02BE-4600-BAF0-84FE54D10C6D.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup.. off to a great start ...

kinda worried about the 2 1/2 hrs wrapped though... thinking they are gonna be WAY over done... really falling off the bone and mushy ... I always found when I wrapped (don't wrap anymore, do SmokinAl SmokinAl unwrapped method) that an hour, maybe 1 1/2 hrs was more than enough ...

Good luck with your new rig ...

Reactions: negolien
Yup.. off to a great start ...

kinda worried about the 2 1/2 hrs wrapped though... thinking they are gonna be WAY over done... really falling off the bone and mushy ... I always found when I wrapped (don't wrap anymore, do SmokinAl SmokinAl unwrapped method) that an hour, maybe 1 1/2 hrs was more than enough ...

Good luck with your new rig ...
Thanks for the catch! It was just a typo. I meant to put 1 1/2 hours wrapped.

Nice best of lucky buddy hope the gf will ace it for you to make up for your initial troubles. As a side note a lot of us secured the cable that your plug goes into better. If jerked just right that can pull outta the board. I never had any issues but i did it eventually to make sure it wasn't a problem later

Reactions: bcaruthers
Nice best of lucky buddy hope the gf will ace it for you to make up for your initial troubles. As a side note a lot of us secured the cable that your plug goes into better. If jerked just right that can pull outta the board. I never had any issues but i did it eventually to make sure it wasn't a problem later
I noticed that the wiring wasn't very secure. Did you just zip tie the connector to the grill?

I noticed that the wiring wasn't very secure. Did you just zip tie the connector to the grill?

Looks slamming buddy nice to see you got that figured out.

Sorry I was no help and kind of a douche. Us mbgf owners see tons of user error posts and whiners bitching about everything and it gets really old seeing new people dropping complaints lol my bad.

As for the cable I just zip tied it. if u look under the controller where the plug is you can trace it back and get a good idea of what we're talkin bout. Some secure it better but I don't have many issues pulling the cord out because of the placement of the grill when I cook.

If you need more space some guys on the MBGF facebook groups make shelves I think. I have a 560 so it's different I went from two half shelves to two full size shelves. be sure to join some mbgf facebook groups like recipes and tips and bbq smoking for beginners which is not a mbgf but is a great group. I don't advocate ANY other mods though just an fyi they are money sinks that aren't really necessary. Foil the underside of the top hopper lid and keep an eye on your push switches for all the doors

Glad everything worked out for you I' am sure that was super frustrating for you.

Reactions: bcaruthers
Looks slamming buddy nice to see you got that figured out.

Sorry I was no help and kind of a douche. Us mbgf owners see tons of user error posts and whiners bitching about everything and it gets really old seeing new people dropping complaints lol my bad.

As for the cable I just zip tied it. if u look under the controller where the plug is you can trace it back and get a good idea of what we're talkin bout. Some secure it better but I don't have many issues pulling the cord out because of the placement of the grill when I cook.

If you need more space some guys on the MBGF facebook groups make shelves I think. I have a 560 so it's different I went from two half shelves to two full size shelves. be sure to join some mbgf facebook groups like recipes and tips and bbq smoking for beginners which is not a mbgf but is a great group. I don't advocate ANY other mods though just an fyi they are money sinks that aren't really necessary. Foil the underside of the top hopper lid and keep an eye on your push switches for all the doors

Glad everything worked out for you I' am sure that was super frustrating for you.
No worries. I didn’t think you were being a douche. I will zip tie it off the next smoke I do. The full size grates on the racks would be nice. Now I just gotta figure out what to smoke next. The wife wants me to smoke something that we can use as meal prep for our work week. So I may try a brisket cook on a tri tip.

• Love
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky