SQWIB checking in, I have been quite busy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
I haven't been doing much cooking on the pit or smoker as of late.

I have been busy with the Scouts, Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, and volunteered to buil a klondike sled for the upcoming Klondike Derby.

Also have been doing some winter camping., weekends are pretty much shot until April, I will be doing a big cook in March for the Scout Golf Outing, this will probably be my first cook of the year, but it will be a big one.

Just didn't want you guys think I was slacking!!!

• Brushing up on my Bushcraft Skills

• This was a recon trip for our upcoming Canoe Camping trip in March (hopefully)
  • Other than making coffee and mashed potatoes, this was the only thing I cooked. This is my, "comfort food" when camping.

• The snow was brutal at times, especially when the wind kicked up.
  • We got about 4" or so of snow, temps went down to about 15° and winds were 10 - 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph.
  • We were fine until Sunday morning, I woke up around 7:30 am and said, "lets get the *&$@@" out of here"!!
  • The trip home was awesome we stopped at a little corner store and we each got one of these,

Bacon, Sausage, Pork Roll, Ham, Egg and cheese sandwich

Last edited:
Great pics good to see you're still alive...JJ

{snip}
I haven't been doing much cooking on the pit or smoker as of late.
I have been busy with the Scouts, Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, and volunteered to buil a klondike sled for the upcoming Klondike Derby.

Bacon, Sausage, Pork Roll, Ham, Egg and cheese sandwich

SQWIB-Glad to hear that you’re still around and working with the Scouting program. When that picture of the sled popped up the first thing through my head was KLONDIKE time!

I'm facing the most challenging and exciting phase of my Scouting career. Last Tuesday I was asked to be the Scoutmaster of a Special Needs Scout Troop that is in the process being chartered and Ma was asked to be on the Troop Committee. This Troop will be comprised of 20-25 special needs young men (they are all over the age of 21), I’ve had one or two boys in my Troops that have had special needs and my Scouts have rallied around these boys to Scouting accessible for them. I’ve been told that in addition to my 2 Assistant Scoutmasters, I’ll have plenty of care giver staff to help out. Guess I'm in for a whole new experience!

Now about that sammich-That is one awesome PORK sammich!

Hey Sqwib and Dutch

You two are doing some awsome things.  I went through the entire Scouting program in my youth, ending up as a Queen Scout (up here thats as high as you can get--same as an Eagle Scout).  Then I became a Scout Leader for years.

Gary

Last edited:
{snip}
SQWIB-Glad to hear that you’re still around and working with the Scouting program. When that picture of the sled popped up the first thing through my head was KLONDIKE time!

I'm facing the most challenging and exciting phase of my Scouting career. Last Tuesday I was asked to be the Scoutmaster of a Special Needs Scout Troop that is in the process being chartered and Ma was asked to be on the Troop Committee. This Troop will be comprised of 20-25 special needs young men (they are all over the age of 21), I’ve had one or two boys in my Troops that have had special needs and my Scouts have rallied around these boys to Scouting accessible for them. I’ve been told that in addition to my 2 Assistant Scoutmasters, I’ll have plenty of care giver staff to help out. Guess I'm in for a whole new experience!

Now about that sammich-That is one awesome PORK sammich!
My hats off to ya Dutch, the scouting program needs more folks like you, especially in the area you chose to help

I was asked to be Committee Chair for the Cubs, although my son crossed over last year, my wife is the assistant cub master as well..

I was asked to be Committee Chair for the troop as well but declined, I am much better hands on as you see in the pics.

Tonight I am having a seminar for Our troop and cub pack about cold weather camping (Layering) and sleeping comfortably in the cold.

I was amazed at how ill informed most parents are, this is where I like to help.

I made a website for our guys, check it out, especially the videos page.

I am the official unofficial photographer and love it!

It's very exhausting chasing after these kids to get some photos.

I have to laugh, one parent has been in the troop since her boy crossed over, he's up for eagle, but whats funny is she told me they never had any idea of what the boys did at camp until I started making the videos... no one ever took pictures, she said that they only knew they smelled bad when they got home.

Keep me posted on how everything is going, Take some pics too!

Broke the link to respect forum rules.

Put together and copy and paste the link

https:

//sites.google.com/site/troop460olc/

Last edited:
Great looking site SQWIB, thanks for sharing it with me!

Hey Sqwib and Dutch

You two are doing some awsome things.  I went through the entire Scouting program in my youth, ending up as a Queen Scout (up here thats as high as you can get--same as an Eagle Scout).  Then I became a Scout Leader for years.

Gary
Gary, Its awesome folks like you step up to the plate.

Many parents are afraid to step up, but if they only knew how rewarding it was they would jump in feet first.

Hey I needed a push to get started as a tiger leader... well actualy my wife volunteered me when I was off camping... even after I told her specifically not to sign me up for anything when I was away.

Oh well.

I got everyone to crossover with their arrow of light, I did lose one boy to lack of interest but it was his first year. I just hate to loose any kids, some of these boys were with me from Tigers, the rest were with me from wolves.

(My Klondike video was playing in the background at the crossover, they took first place... first win ever for our troop... yeah that's because my kids were there lol!)

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky