Springtime Fattie Throwdown

Discussion in 'Fatty Sticky' started by fire it up, Mar 24, 2009.

1. fire it up

fire it up Smoking Guru OTBS Member

You make a good point erain.
    I didn't think about that. So yeah, we could either post full procedure in here, or maybe it would be nice to actually make the shot look good. A nice picture perfect professional shot of a fattie. I think that's a good idea. Sure was a terrible time to start the thread with all these storms all over the country. We are under a severe thunderstorm watch right now. Glad there is no snow...

2. bigsteve

bigsteve Master of the Pit

Does the fatty have to be 100% breakfast suasage? 50%? Could it be all beef?

If I don't wrap it up in Bacon, should I bother to enter? [​IMG]

I have a great idea, but I know it's going to taste fantastic, and look so-so. Oh well. I'll enter it anyway.

3. fire it up

My personal opinion is that a fattie must be at least partially sausage and any other kind of meat is fine. It has been argued as to whether all beef is a fattie or a stuffed meatloaf. Bacon? Not required at all, just commonly added to a fattie.
    But hey, you want to use all beef? Go for it. Long as it is creative, smoked and delicious then most anything is fair game.
    I finally get a chance to fire it up again tomorrow or Wednesday so I will finally be adding my first throwdown fattie to the post.

4. I know it is going to be kind of "vanilla" compared to some of the others I've seen here, but man oh man I can't wait to get this thing into the smoke!

I'll be firing up tomorrow, and will put some "after" pics up tomorrow night.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=75265

5. fire it up

Well, this throwdown was kind of a bust with snow storms and rain in most of the country for a while now.
    Here is my submission.
    Maple sausage coated in crushed pecans stuffed with peanut butter, honey and a banana cooked in butter and brown sugar.
    I had smoked some pecans and crushed them and made a smoked pecan butter-rum sauce, but I let it sit on the stove overnight and never even ended up tasting it, it smelled good though.
    The fattie was ok but not great. Could have been sweeter I think, and maybe add some heat with the sweetness on the outside, but it will get eaten.

6. Temps are going to be 7 - 10C today. (46 - 50F for all you Southern Folk :)

Skys are clear, wind is low to neglibile.

{Chopper looks thoughtfully up and right and whispers}

It's a good day to smoke a fatty.

7. tasunkawitko

tasunkawitko Master of the Pit OTBS Member

8. the dude abides

the dude abides Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice looking fattys! Hopefully I'll be adding to this post this weekend. Congrats

9. mamunoz

mamunoz Fire Starter

Here is my entry for the Fattie Throwdown I have called it the Atomic Fattie and boy is she lethal.

[​IMG]
    Here is a link to the full write up.

Click Here!

10. fire it up

Looks great mamunoz! Nice and hot! I love the hot stuff, I mean I hate it in a way but I love it so much. Is that wrong? Hot Pepper S&M?

11. rivet

rivet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Okay, here's my first entry - A German Fattie, inspired by and filled with: Braunschweiger, Horseradish, Mustard powder, Pepper, Chopped Spring Onions, Swiss Cheese. Wrapped in thick-cut peppered bacon and smoked over Apple Wood. Link here for the build- http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=75330

And the entry:

12. And I give you the... Bacon Egg Cheese Biscuit Fattie.

[​IMG]

13. got14u

got14u Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

14. bbq engineer

bbq engineer Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

15. the dude abides

16. the dude abides

Here's my second entry from this past weekend. It's called the "Guinea Grinder Fatty". As far as I know I made this one up.
    Here's a link to the whole process, including my first bacon weave.
    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=75655
    Here's a plated pic. It's the one on the right

[​IMG]
    Enjoy!

17. mgwerks

mgwerks Smoking Fanatic

Here's my entry in the Spring Fattie Throwdown. Now you can take what you love with you!

Walkabout Mini-Fatties!

[​IMG]

18. wutang

wutang Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

19. fired up

fired up Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member