Spit Roasted Standing Rib Roast For Christmas: My Best Ever!! (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Amazing meal Robert. Cooking on that Santa Maria spit looks awesome. Just the process makes that worth the effort. Congrats on a fabulous meal. Thumbs up for sure.

Your commentary is recognized and appreciated :emoji_laughing: Sometimes I wonder if maybe I need to get rid of a few cookers so I can focus more on the ones that are truly stellar...like the SM grill and the rotisserie. Simplify life and utilize the superstar toys that I have more often versus spreading the cooks out over numerous ones.

Not really seeing myself getting rid of anything,
Robert

Robert that looks great I know how they taste over the coal spinning.

Couldn't agree more Richie!! I've really developed an affinity for the flavor of mesquite for cooking, especially in this fashion.

Yep...Richie is 100% correct,
Robert

Wow does that ever look delicious, Robert!!! Whoo-wee!

Thank you Joe!! As previously stated, I didn't plan to post this until i looked back through the pics. It came out well and I just had to share.

So yesterday while I was opening presents with the wife, I put that drool yule log on the tv for some ambiance....I didn’t know your pit came with a camera, little did I know you were live streaming your cook!

You're the second person I've seen mention this but I've never seen it...but that's ok. Truth be told, the camera and live streaming capabilities on the grill are not a factory option. i installed those myself just for you sir. glad you and your wife enjoyed the ambiance I was able to provide.

Well, maybe I'm lying just a bit,
Robert

It doesn't get much better than that!
Great looking meal!

Once again Al, I can't argue with sage commentary like that :emoji_wink: When I say this was the best meal I've ever done, it's an accurate statement.

Robert

Nice work Robert.....ever since I saw the drool log commercial from the Beef Council at the movies I’ve been dreaming of spinning meat in the X-Fire and now I see this.......so it’s official a rotisserie is getting added to the X-Fire I just have to have it. I WILL HAVE ONE!!!

I don't have an X fire...yet, but with all I've read recently either that or the Vortex may well be on the shopping horizon for me. Glad to have inspired you to take the plunge!! I've loved everything that's come off that rotisserie.

I like those bourbon Bella’s we do them all the time. Perfect for red meat!

They were actually burgundy (wine) but I have to admit, you now have me thinking a different direction. Bourbon in a deep rich beef gravy....hmmmm

Over a that was a perfect meal in my book!

Thank you thank you!! Tracy is still bragging to her friends about this one :emoji_anguished:

Robert

Out... of... the... park!

Well done sir! Well done indeed. I was about to post up my ham meal but may lay low for awhile now :emoji_sweat_smile:

Excellently executed complete meal! Well done again friend!

Thank you Zach!! Truly appreciate the commentary. There is enough of a disparity between ham and beef that you should go ahead and post it up. Additionally there is no competition here, just friendly sharing of ideas. I'd love to see what you've done because i'm kinda at a loss for ham. Not that there's a lack of info here, just a lack of me paying attention to it

Need to open eyes a bit more,
Robert

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
I don't have an X fire...yet, but with all I've read recently either that or the Vortex may well be on the shopping horizon for me. Glad to have inspired you to take the plunge!! I've loved everything that's come off that rotisserie.

They were actually burgundy (wine) but I have to admit, you now have me thinking a different direction. Bourbon in a deep rich beef gravy....hmmmm
Thank you thank you!! Tracy is still bragging to her friends about this one :emoji_anguished:

Robert

You will have to fight my son for the X-Fire as the one I’m my garage is the only one that I know exists......at least at the moment.....

Oh I missed burgundy vs bourbon....reading on the phone...... that said I’ve done both and prefer the bourbon. To me it’s easier to cook with and I get a more consistent product each time. It’s also velvety sweet for red meat!

You will have to fight my son for the X-Fire as the one I’m my garage is the only one that I know exists......at least at the moment.....

Apologies. I did not realize it was a one-off custom build. A cooker isn't worth fighting over....well if somebody tried to make one of mine I might think differently :emoji_laughing: I wouldn't be surprised if you posted the build for it here someplace. I have a good imagination, a background in structural engineering, and an excellent metal fabricator about a mile from home. Not that I really need another cooker but I wouldn't be surprised if I could at least come close to replicating it. The problem then however would be what to get rid of to make room for this one :emoji_astonished: I have to admit though, I absolutely love the name X-Fire. That just sounds so cool!!

Robert

Robert.....yes I have a post on the X-Fire (x-fire build). My son and me are still working on it but it is very functional......I know one other forum member asked if he could “use” the design so another one may pop up on the forum....I know it won’t be patented because it has been shared for the whole wide world....

Structural engineering you say........we have a little in common....that is what my CE is in!!!!! So it takes a structural engineer to build a X-Fire.....oh wait my 16 year old did most of it......

And personally I think Jeff P did the right thing getting out of the engineering bus and creating this forum for us!!!

The past several months I've kind of gone a different direction with meal preparation. I've just been using simple, basic, easy-to-source ingredients, most of which you probably already have in the pantry or fridge. I was getting so tired of seeing all of these professional chef inspired recipes loaded full of exotic, expensive, and difficult-to-source ingredients. They want you to go out and spend $50 for several different things that you're only going to use a very small amount of just to make one meal, then you're gonna have all this stuff left that you probably have no use for :emoji_wink: Maybe I'm on a secret crusade (even unknown to me) to show that a really good meal can be prepared and served that also presents beautifully but doesn't require a bunch of weird stuff that the basic backyard Joe isn't going to have available. Yesterday however I decided to step things up a bit. Not so much with exotic ingredients, but certainly something a bit more upscale. I have a beautiful CPB eye round roast in the freezer i was gonna do but nope....Tracy is not having any of that. She declared that we are having prime rib. Far be it from me to refuse so I got on the horn and ordered the standing rib roast from Certified Piedmontese Beef. Here is the final menu I decided yo put together:
-Rib roast on the rotisserie of the Santa Maria grill cooked over mesquite
-Garlic mashed potatoes
-Burgundy mushroom gravy
-Grilled asparagus in Hollansaise sauce topped with mozzarella cheese and homemade bacon crumbles
-Homemade Au jus
-Fresh dinner rolls with butter

Here's how this came together. Started with the CPB roast. It's a 3-bone, 5# roast
View attachment 425342

Time to light a fire!!
View attachment 425343

Roast on the rotisserie spit and a liberal coating of my beef rub applied (2 pics)
View attachment 425344
View attachment 425345

And we're off!!
View attachment 425346

Slice the portabellas and let them cook down a bit in butter
View attachment 425347

Build the burgundy sauce with the mushrooms and let it cook down a bit
View attachment 425348

Bacon crumbles for the asparagus
View attachment 425349

Roast coming along beautifully
View attachment 425351

Asparagus with the Hollandaise sauce on the grill
View attachment 425352

Top the asparagus with cheese and bacon crumbles
View attachment 425353

Roast done and into the house to rest for a few minutes
View attachment 425354

5#, 3 bones = 3 slices...each almost 2#. The dark color you see on the meat is from the juice left on the cutting board after slicing that I dribbled on the meat. No way was I gonna let that go to waste!!
View attachment 425355

The full spread
View attachment 425356

Money shot!! My plate, 2 pics
View attachment 425357
View attachment 425358

At the end of the day, this was THE BEST rib roast or prime rib I've ever done. The quality of the meat was exquisite...so tender, so flavorful, and incredibly juicy. I ran a hot fire to get a nice bark on the meat that was to die for!! It was kind of a test to see if my beef rub would crust up, and it did. The flavor on that bark is unlike any I've ever had and the rich smokiness from the mesquite was simply amazing. This is the first time I've done asparagus like this but it's not going to be the last. This idea kind came together in my deviant little head and I couldn't let go of it so pulled the trigger. It was outstanding!! Of course you just cannot go wrong with mashed potatoes, especially when they are homemade as is that succulent burgundy mushroom gravy. Everybody said this was the best meal they have ever eaten that I've prepared, and better than pretty much anything they have had in a 5-star steak house. You just cannot get American beef that's of the same quality and flavor that the CPB has. A couple of new rules did come out of this however. Here are the new rules as mandated by Tracy:
1) We are to have a minimum of two of these roasts on hand at all times. This is in case we want to invite several people, we'll have the food for them
2) The way this roast was done in the ONLY way I'm ever to cook a prime rib or standing rib roast going forward. It was that good!!
3) We now have a new way to make asparagus (which we both love) and it's to be used _almost_ every time

These rules are set in stone, non-negotiable, and not open for interpretation. I'm fine with that though because it's the highest compliment I could ever get from her AND it keeps the money flowing for future endeavors :emoji_laughing: Heck, Rick, who was our only guest (his wife was hammered with cedar allergies and couldn't make it) said any time I want to cook one of these, he will happily pay for it. All in all I guess folks enjoyed this dinner. We did have apple pie for dessert but no pics. When I finished dinner I fell out of my chair, crawled across the family room floor, slithered through the doggy door onto the patio, and pretty much passed out. The last thing in the world I felt like doing was going back into the house to get my phone to take a pic of the pie. Please just use your imagination for this one :emoji_astonished:

Well, that's it. I'm done for now but will probably be back some time in the near future
Robert
Damn you Robert, I know could never compete at your level but this cook is making me realize that I am going to have to step up my game quite a bit to be deserving of my new badge.:emoji_fearful:

I might have to turn in my badge or gift it too S S-met after seeing the fancy, smancy spread he just put up for his friends.:emoji_fearful::emoji_fearful::emoji_fearful:

I need to step up my game quite a bit around you folks, I'm glad my wife doesn't look at this forum or I'd never hear the end of it. LOL

Structural engineering you say........we have a little in common....that is what my CE is in!!!!! So it takes a structural engineer to build a X-Fire.....oh wait my 16 year old did most of it......

I don't have the degree or the formal education, just a lifetime of experience working in that field. Now...at no point did I say it took a structural engineer to build it :emoji_wink: The background however will make it a lot easier to figure out how it all goes together so I can draw it up for my fabricators in the unlikely event that I decide to proceed with this project. Hats off to your son though!! Somebody must have taught him pretty well

Proper parenting does still exist,
Robert

Damn you Robert, I know could never compete at your level but this cook is making me realize that I am going to have to step up my game quite a bit to be deserving of my new badge.:emoji_fearful:

Thanks so much for the kind words but as far as I know, this is not a competition. It's all about people sharing ideas and learning from each other. If this forum were to become a competition, I'd probably leave. I just hate losing!!

I might have to turn in my badge or gift it too S S-met S S-met after seeing the fancy, smancy spread he just put up for his friends.:emoji_fearful::emoji_fearful::emoji_fearful:

Don't you dare turn that badge in !! You have worked long and hard for it and turned out some amazing food. Raise your head, be proud, and feel free to raise your standards on the next cook if you want to, but it's certainly not necessary based on what I've seen you post. His post is gorgeous but if he wants the badge, he can earn it just like you did :emoji_wink:

Proud of your OTBS recognition,
Robert

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky