Spinning Yard Birds!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Y'all we had bought a couple of whole chickens several months back. When we bought them, it was the only chicken available that day. Yep, the day we bought these chickens our local store didn't have a lot of stuff (including toilet paper?) we figured we'd have to start raising our own chickens, making our own clothes, grow all our own vegetables, Make our own toilet paper, etc...... Well, fast forward to now and I've got a good supply of everything and these 2 frozen birds I need to cook. So I called up my sis and they said heck yeah, bring us one of those chickens!

4F4DB130-4CAB-4C5F-B023-4BD65C019915_1_201_a.jpeg

Nothin' fancy, 2 basic yard birds with a little Tony's Jalapeño Butter injection with Kosher salt & med grind black pepper. Trussed & onto the spit for a spin in the Yoder with my favorite combo of 100% Hickory & 100% Cherry. This photo is after the 1st hour @ 250 deg (I do this to allow a little more smoke aroma & flavor in the birds)

9D87F792-8F5B-43C3-9F33-75ED42BBBA9D_1_201_a.jpeg

I did 1 hour @ 250, then bumped it up to 300 for the next hour, I then bumped it again to 325 and they were at the perfect temp of 160 (deep in the breast meat) after another 45 minutes so the whole cooking process took less than 3 hours. The results were very good and everyone was happy. I nailed the breast meat and I was very close on the skin. I might bump the temp up a bit higher at the end next time to see if I can get that skin a bit more crispy without overcooking the breast meat. It was a success and the chickens were dizzy when they came out of the smoker. Thanks for looking and keep on smokin'!

Nice work on the whole birds . If I don't use Pop's brine , I do it exactly as you did minus the spin .
Tony's butter , black pepper on the skin and tie her up . Same with Pop's . Black pepper and a tie .
So I can imagine how good they are . I bet the roto adds to it even more .
I agree great color . Very nice .

Reactions: texomakid
That's a beautiful piece of work Randy, Like! I used to spin one every couple of weeks on my Ronco 4000, they sure come out juicy that way. RAY

You got some nice looking birds there! They got a real nice tan. Nice job

Ryan

Do you have a Bass-O-Matic too? :emoji_grinning:

The Ronco Showtime 4000 is probably Ron's greatest invention, I've had the SS model for about 20 years and never a glitch. Chicken, little primes, leg-o-lamb, does it all and perfectly every time, set it and forget it baby! Four of my friends have 4000's too. I remember the Popiel Pocket Fisherman too, that's gotta be going back about 60 years. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky