Spinning a 16# Bird on the WSM 22,5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
I decided to park the Yoder and fire up the WSM 22.5 this year for Thanksgiving. I wanted rich smokey flavor so I loaded the cooker with Charcoal & a few chunks of hickory and off we went. I need to do some work to seal up several holes in my rotisserie section so I can control temps & sustain the embers better but the bird turn out great!

Minion method w/ KBB & Hickory
tempImageIvfwsK.png

Prep the bird while the WSM is coming up to temp. Kept is simple - trussed the 16# bird, 1x17 ounce bottle of Tony's Butter Creole injection, fresh mixed batch of Jeff's rub, and onto the spit for a 4 hour spin.
tempImagePT1fPz.png

This is 2 hours in and the Brest IT is around 120. That color is beautiful at this stage but the bird isn't done yet.
tempImageW1tlr0.png

4 hours in and the breast are at 160. This bird is ready for prime time!
tempImageBpXBhY.png

I ran the cooker at 300 deg for most of the 4 hours. Results were a very rich smoke flavor that was perfect with the entire meal. I really like the finished products I get from the WSM. I"m still learning a lot about cooking with this smoker but the flavor that can be produced from this style of cooking is really a treat.

I always smell like a smoker when I'm done :emoji_laughing: Had a few things pop up during the cook but that's normal. Got to get that bird cinched down good on that spit!!!

Thanks for looking and once again the bird was the star on Thanksgiving.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Keep on smoking!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky