1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Spicy Pickles

Discussion in 'Canning & Storage' started by spag, Aug 26, 2018.

1. I have been on SMF for a few years now, but haven’t posted much. I’ve read a lot though over the years though and have learned more than I can explain from so many of you. This one isn’t off the smoker, but it’s what I happened to be doing this weekend and thought I would share…

Every year I pick up a 25lb bag of pickling cucumbers at my little neighborhood produce market. I do both quartered spears and chips. [​IMG]
    upload_2018-8-26_21-26-1.png

I started by slicing both ends off cucumbers and soaked in ice water for a few hours.
    upload_2018-8-26_21-26-28.png

My brine is four cups of water, four cups of distilled white vinegar, and ½ cup of pickling salt. To each jar I add ¼ tsp of Alum, ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes, ¼ tsp of dill seeds, a couple cloves of garlic, and ½ - 1 habanero.
    upload_2018-8-26_21-26-52.png
    upload_2018-8-26_21-27-7.png

For the spears, I halve them and lightly scrape out the seeds and goop. Then cut into quarters.
    upload_2018-8-26_21-28-6.png

I do chips about ¼ inch thick on the mandolin.
    upload_2018-8-26_21-28-29.png

Jars stuffed, brined, and topped off with a grape leaf. Short story of that… I like my pickles crunchy. Soaking the cucumbers in ice water and the addition of Alum and/or grape leaves are ways that people have come up with over time that they claim helps to keep pickles crunchy. Tried all three this time, we’ll see.
    upload_2018-8-26_21-28-50.png

I loaded them into the hot water bath, brought it back to a boil, and processed for 10 minutes.
    upload_2018-8-26_21-29-9.png

So, another hobby of mine is gardening, especially hot peppers. A few Carolina Reapers started indoors from seed in March (In Oregon) have loved the crazy hot summer we have been having here and a I added a pepper to a couple jars. Can’t say I’d recommend doing for everyday use. They’re more of a novelty that usually don’t come out until everyone has drank too much. A couple stories that still make me chuckle.
    upload_2018-8-26_21-29-27.png

25lb sack of cucumbers yielded three dozen jars.
    upload_2018-8-26_21-30-16.png

upload_2018-8-26_21-30-30.png
    Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

wimpy69, meatallica, GATOR240 and 5 others like this.
  2. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That's an awful lot of pickles, but they sure do look good.

Chris

3. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

S, Nice job on your pickles and those peppers look lethal ! like

4. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Those ought to last you a while!!
    Al

5. xray

xray Master of the Pit

Those pickles look so good, thanks for the write up.

I just learned this past weekend from a coworker that grape leaves are used for crunchiness. What a coincidence.

Like.

6. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That right there ought to last you a few weeks.

Great Job.

7. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

Nice! I go through about 5# a month, just started a new batch a few days ago.I just make mine in the fridge. I use Ball pickle crisp, never tried alum. Gonna have to give it a whirl on a small batch.

8. GATOR240

GATOR240 Smoking Fanatic

Those are some really good looking pickles. Nice job on the post, don't be a stranger.:cool:

9. Thanks for your kind words and likes. I have a couple more posts to share when I have a chance.

10. gary s

gary s SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster OTBS Member

Nice, Love Pickles

Gary

11. solman

solman Meat Mopper

This looks great. We love pickles from our local farmers market but they're kind of pricey and I'm thinking of making these at home.

Any thoughts on how to add some sweetness make these "sweet and spicy"?

12. solman

solman Meat Mopper

So how were the pickles?

13. Pickles were great, my best batch yet. Around Valentine's day (at least out here in Oregon) the first of the cheap asparagus starts to arrive. Same exact recipe as pickles and these are even better. The only change is using quart jars instead of pints. I pulled the trigger when I saw it at $1.69/lb and bought around 27 lbs. Sounds like a lot, but you basically have to lop them in half to fit in the jars. Still ended up with 17 quarts, enough to last the year plus a few to give away.
    upload_2019-4-5_15-45-2.png

My favorite way to serve is with a little spreadable cream cheese smeared on a piece of thin salami and then rolled up with a couple asparagus. Looks great on the appetizer table.

upload_2019-4-5_15-44-39.png

Steve H likes this.
  14. kelbro

kelbro Meat Mopper

That sounds like a great idea!