Spicy Pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spag

Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Portland, Oregon
I have been on SMF for a few years now, but haven’t posted much. I’ve read a lot though over the years though and have learned more than I can explain from so many of you. This one isn’t off the smoker, but it’s what I happened to be doing this weekend and thought I would share…

Every year I pick up a 25lb bag of pickling cucumbers at my little neighborhood produce market. I do both quartered spears and chips.
clip_image002.jpg

upload_2018-8-26_21-26-1.png

I started by slicing both ends off cucumbers and soaked in ice water for a few hours.
upload_2018-8-26_21-26-28.png

My brine is four cups of water, four cups of distilled white vinegar, and ½ cup of pickling salt. To each jar I add ¼ tsp of Alum, ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes, ¼ tsp of dill seeds, a couple cloves of garlic, and ½ - 1 habanero.
upload_2018-8-26_21-26-52.png

upload_2018-8-26_21-27-7.png

For the spears, I halve them and lightly scrape out the seeds and goop. Then cut into quarters.
upload_2018-8-26_21-28-6.png

I do chips about ¼ inch thick on the mandolin.
upload_2018-8-26_21-28-29.png

Jars stuffed, brined, and topped off with a grape leaf. Short story of that… I like my pickles crunchy. Soaking the cucumbers in ice water and the addition of Alum and/or grape leaves are ways that people have come up with over time that they claim helps to keep pickles crunchy. Tried all three this time, we’ll see.
upload_2018-8-26_21-28-50.png

I loaded them into the hot water bath, brought it back to a boil, and processed for 10 minutes.
upload_2018-8-26_21-29-9.png

So, another hobby of mine is gardening, especially hot peppers. A few Carolina Reapers started indoors from seed in March (In Oregon) have loved the crazy hot summer we have been having here and a I added a pepper to a couple jars. Can’t say I’d recommend doing for everyday use. They’re more of a novelty that usually don’t come out until everyone has drank too much. A couple stories that still make me chuckle.
upload_2018-8-26_21-29-27.png

25lb sack of cucumbers yielded three dozen jars.
upload_2018-8-26_21-30-16.png

upload_2018-8-26_21-30-30.png

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-26_21-27-18.png
    upload_2018-8-26_21-27-18.png
    564.1 KB · Views: 12
That's an awful lot of pickles, but they sure do look good.

Chris

Those pickles look so good, thanks for the write up.

I just learned this past weekend from a coworker that grape leaves are used for crunchiness. What a coincidence.

Like.

That right there ought to last you a few weeks.

Great Job.

Nice! I go through about 5# a month, just started a new batch a few days ago.I just make mine in the fridge. I use Ball pickle crisp, never tried alum. Gonna have to give it a whirl on a small batch.

Those are some really good looking pickles. Nice job on the post, don't be a stranger.:cool:

This looks great. We love pickles from our local farmers market but they're kind of pricey and I'm thinking of making these at home.

Any thoughts on how to add some sweetness make these "sweet and spicy"?

Pickles were great, my best batch yet. Around Valentine's day (at least out here in Oregon) the first of the cheap asparagus starts to arrive. Same exact recipe as pickles and these are even better. The only change is using quart jars instead of pints. I pulled the trigger when I saw it at $1.69/lb and bought around 27 lbs. Sounds like a lot, but you basically have to lop them in half to fit in the jars. Still ended up with 17 quarts, enough to last the year plus a few to give away.
upload_2019-4-5_15-45-2.png

My favorite way to serve is with a little spreadable cream cheese smeared on a piece of thin salami and then rolled up with a couple asparagus. Looks great on the appetizer table.

upload_2019-4-5_15-44-39.png

Reactions: Steve H
Pickles were great, my best batch yet. Around Valentine's day (at least out here in Oregon) the first of the cheap asparagus starts to arrive. Same exact recipe as pickles and these are even better. The only change is using quart jars instead of pints. I pulled the trigger when I saw it at $1.69/lb and bought around 27 lbs. Sounds like a lot, but you basically have to lop them in half to fit in the jars. Still ended up with 17 quarts, enough to last the year plus a few to give away.

My favorite way to serve is with a little spreadable cream cheese smeared on a piece of thin salami and then rolled up with a couple asparagus. Looks great on the appetizer table.

That sounds like a great idea!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky